Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INS Process - filing for green card

I entered the country legally and stayed on once my visa expired. I am now married to a US citizen and would like to file for a green card. My question pertains to what exactly you get on the day you file and when exactly you get the rest (if there are no issues and everything is kosher). My passport and drivers license have expired (I'll start the process of renewing my passport after I file), and I lost my SS card, thus I have no proof of identity and my legal presence is currently invalid. Given the climate of the country since the terrorist bombings, I would like to get squared away as soon as possible. If I filed on say Monday, what would I get from INS? Would I get a temporary green card right there and then? Would I get an employment authorization card? Would INS give me something that I could take to DMV or the SS office to get an ID card/drivers license or SS card? I was hoping to travel within the next few weeks but unless I'm able to obtain some form of ID, its looking doubtful. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I entered the country legally and stayed on once my visa expired. I am now married to a US citizen and would like to file for a green card. My question pertains to what exactly you get on the day you file and when exactly you get the rest (if there are no issues and everything is kosher). My passport and drivers license have expired (I'll start the process of renewing my passport after I file), and I lost my SS card, thus I have no proof of identity and my legal presence is currently invalid. Given the climate of the country since the terrorist bombings, I would like to get squared away as soon as possible. If I filed on say Monday, what would I get from INS? Would I get a temporary green card right there and then? Would I get an employment authorization card? Would INS give me something that I could take to DMV or the SS office to get an ID card/drivers license or SS card? I was hoping to travel within the next few weeks but unless I'm able to obtain some form of ID, its looking doubtful. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

LOL. You're joking right?! Temporary green card on the spot. That will be the day!

Comment

may I recommend starting the process of renewing your passport immediately? I imagine that will be necessary not only for identification purposes in life, but also with the INS!

Comment

If it was that easy, none of us would be here on this site! This is too much for me I've got my own problems,but I would start with getting a new passport for ID, but don't leave the country because they aren't going to let you back in. How come you had a SSN to lose in the first place? It is a very long and frustrating road, good luck on your journey.

Comment

Dude , you should have been in this country in the 1960s when things were moving fast in INS not NOW.
            Be a sensible person and dont lose your important documents like that.
            Keep yourself informed.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed