Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help ME!

I could really use some advice. Tonight, my cousin, who is here legally on a 6 month tourist visa -- was arrested by border patrol and found with a fake social security card and green card. She is being detained and apparently will appear before an administrative law judge tomorrow morning. She has a ticket to go home in January, and was not planning to overstay her visa. What will probably happen to her? Will she be immediately deported or will she be allowed to voluntarily leave the country? What can be done to help her case? WIll she serve jail time? Will she ever be permitted to enter the United States again?

HELP -- ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!

I could really use some advice. Tonight, my cousin, who is here legally on a 6 month tourist visa -- was arrested by border patrol and found with a fake social security card and green card. She is being detained and apparently will appear before an administrative law judge tomorrow morning. She has a ticket to go home in January, and was not planning to overstay her visa. What will probably happen to her? Will she be immediately deported or will she be allowed to voluntarily leave the country? What can be done to help her case? WIll she serve jail time? Will she ever be permitted to enter the United States again?

HELP -- ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!

Comment

How did they find fake documents? Why were they searching her if she was here legally?

Comment

Why did she have the fake documents? This may weaken your stand that she was not intending to overstay. Above all be honest and answer all questions directly and truthfully. I'm curious about her having the fake social and GC. I hope things work out for you two. Keep us posted.

Comment

I don't know a lot of the details, but apparently she consented to the search. Apparently someone had given her a fake social card and green card and she had worked one day at Marshall's. She intends, and always did, intend on returning to Colombia and has a return ticket set for January. But she is in jail now and I don't even know if she will have the opportunity to voluntarily leave on her own ticket? And what are the chances of being prosecuted criminally? She is so scared right now and I do not know how to help her!
          God bless you for responding to my frantic email... Any thoughts?

Comment

I am sorry but it does not look too good because she was working here illegally:intent, and she was actually doing it. And had false documents. That may be fraud. It really does not matter that she was going to go home on time.

My suggestion is to talk to a lawyer asap.

You can try some of the lawyers on the first page of this web site.

Goodluck to you and your cousin and God Bless

Comment

Any time someone earns money using a fake social security number, it is serious and can complicate things. Her using the fake id does show intent and violates the law. B is right - get a lawyer. The situation is not impossible, but a lawyer will know how best to help. Good luck.

Comment

I don't know what to tell you exactly, but it's true that it doesn't look good and there is a very good chance that she will be deported, with any luck the duration of the entry bar can be minimized (although I am not sure exactly how.) But I do want to give you some hope, illegal or forged documents are more common than you might imagine... it doesn't look good for the INS (as it does indicate that she was planning to stay) but that doesn't mean that she is "screwed for life"

I agree get a lawyer asap!!!! But I also recommend that you get a really good one... even if you have to pay a lot (i.e. 200-300 dollars an hour). It may not be feasible in the long term, but if it is possible now, they can give you the best advice for the moment and help you to later judge cheaper lawyers that you might talk to.

Good luck!!!!

Comment

Thank you to all of you who were kind enough to respond. I don't have any answers yet (my cousin is still being processed) but I have spoken to some lawyers and am in contact with her deportation officer, the first step. When I am through this horrible ordeal, I will post and hopefully help someone down the line how I've been helped by all of you.

Any other input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thank you

Comment

Please do post the outcome of your story. It will help people. Best of luck to you.

Comment

GOOD WORK
                      THANK YOU ALL

Comment

how did ur cousins case go? i have the same problem, my brother had fake ss# and GC on him.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation