X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory Detention

Hi,

I will like to know if anyone has any information or know what relief are available by law to someone detained by the INS (the new mandatory detention law).

The person detained has only one misdeamanor conviction(received unemployment benefits while working part-time). This happened in 1988. He paid restitution to Employment Development Department.

He was detained while going for appointment interview to adjust his status. He has been here since 1984.

If anyone knows what to do, please help with information.

Thanks

K

Hi,

I will like to know if anyone has any information or know what relief are available by law to someone detained by the INS (the new mandatory detention law).

The person detained has only one misdeamanor conviction(received unemployment benefits while working part-time). This happened in 1988. He paid restitution to Employment Development Department.

He was detained while going for appointment interview to adjust his status. He has been here since 1984.

If anyone knows what to do, please help with information.

Thanks

K

Comment

If he's an illegal alien with flight risk and therefore removable, mandatory detention applies. I don't think the criminal conviction by itself would be reason or basis alone for the detention. S/he probably doesn't have a basis for adjustement (?) Good luck!

Comment

To Kimi,

do you have a lawyer? if you don't i think it's important to have one!

when you said unemployment benefit, you meant unemployment insurance?

usually, if s/he paid them back than s/he should not be convicted

and, was s/he convicted then in 1988 and went to jail?

for this misdeamanor s/he should not have been detained!

good luck

Comment

kimi, how old are you, kiddo?

Comment

Kimi -

My husband has also been detained under the new mandatory detention law. He has been in the US since 1988 and he had a misdeamanor charge in 1992 (failure to return a rental car - however the car was actually return and all charges paid). We have been trying to adjust status for three years.

I have been trying to get just this information from my attorney for the last three days. If they ever respond to me, I'll pass the information along.

Comment

another kiddo...

Comment

Thank you WB. Please keep me informed of whatever happened in your husband's situation. I will also let you know if we are able to request a bond my cousin.

Thanks

Comment

Kimi...Are you being completly honest here now? Are you sure this person has nothing else which might be detaining him? I am not saying you are not telling us everything you know but am wondering if this person is telling you everything. Be mush easier to help or advise if we knew the whole story.

Comment

deport illegal aliens

Comment

LBH, "kimi" and her other IDs under which she hides herself are provocators...it's so obvious that even a child, slightly younger than kimi herself, can figure it out...

Comment

To HAHAHA,

I do not have any other ID. I have no reason to be on this discussion board if I do not have any problem. Have you ever seen anyone toy around with immigration proble? Please be aware that we are serious and have problems, that is the reason we are on this board.

Comment

hahaha

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs