Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian on an H1B

I am a Canadian citizen on an H1B status. My project is ending in September 15th and I am starting to look for a new job. My current employer intends to terminate my H1B on the 15th of September. My question is, given that I am a Canadian citizen am I allowed to stay here in the US to interview for jobs after my H1B is terminated? If yes, how long am I allowed to stay here for to look for a job. If I'm not allowed to stay here after the 15th, can I go back to Canada and then cross back again as a visitor so I can go to interviews?

thanks!

I am a Canadian citizen on an H1B status. My project is ending in September 15th and I am starting to look for a new job. My current employer intends to terminate my H1B on the 15th of September. My question is, given that I am a Canadian citizen am I allowed to stay here in the US to interview for jobs after my H1B is terminated? If yes, how long am I allowed to stay here for to look for a job. If I'm not allowed to stay here after the 15th, can I go back to Canada and then cross back again as a visitor so I can go to interviews?

thanks!

Comment

I know that as H1b once your visa is expired or if you're not employed you have to leave the country promptly. I doubt that there is an exception for Canadians. Maybe you have to leave and come back (tourist/VWP).

Comment

My husband is on an H1 and getting his greencard. I would check with a lawyer, but I believe that once your employer, because that company is the sponsor, terminates your arrangement, you are not given time to look for another job here. The idea is that you were hired because of special skill/knowledge that a US citizen did not have. You should look NOW!

Comment

You have 10 days to get a transfer. After your visa is expired, you may come back as a visitor, no problem. But you are not allowed to work.

Comment

You appears to be in the same situation as I am with TN. According to the law, you got 10 days to get out of the country. Wait. You could walk to a Canadian/US border and change your status to visitor , or mail the application of your request to change from H1B to visitor.

I am currently waiting for pending status change to visitor which could take up to 90 days. Let me know if you have further questions.

Comment

Once you are out of status, you must leave the country. If you stay - you will be an illegal... And to make matters a bit worse, if you leave the country and then turn around and come back into the US as a visitor, there is a problem with intent... Nobody can enter the US as a visitor with the intent of staying in the country and/or looking for work. Not even Canadians... So there is a very good chance that you will be refused re-entry... And be very careful that you do not find yourself subject to a 5 or 10 yr ban if they think you are up to something... So I would be looking for work very hard over the next 15 days or so...

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation