Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 visa overstay, now marrying a US citizen

I came to the US on F-1 visa, graduated from college, worked on OPT for 1 year. However, my OPT expired in 2001 and I continued working without authorization. I used my SSN and paid taxes. Basically I overstayed my F1 visa, and I've been working without INS authorization during the last 2 yrs. Now I'm marrying a US citizen, and upon consulting with a lawyer, I was told that my overstay will be pardoned. He said that I don't need to file any waiver either (I've been reading about waivers on this forum and thought I might need one for my overstay), but if I decide to hire his services, he will charge $2500.

My question to you guys is, should I hire a lawyer or should I do it on my own and save $2500? If what he said is true (that there won't be any problem regarding my overstay and working w/o authorization) then why would I need a lawyer? Please advise. Thank you guys.

I came to the US on F-1 visa, graduated from college, worked on OPT for 1 year. However, my OPT expired in 2001 and I continued working without authorization. I used my SSN and paid taxes. Basically I overstayed my F1 visa, and I've been working without INS authorization during the last 2 yrs. Now I'm marrying a US citizen, and upon consulting with a lawyer, I was told that my overstay will be pardoned. He said that I don't need to file any waiver either (I've been reading about waivers on this forum and thought I might need one for my overstay), but if I decide to hire his services, he will charge $2500.

My question to you guys is, should I hire a lawyer or should I do it on my own and save $2500? If what he said is true (that there won't be any problem regarding my overstay and working w/o authorization) then why would I need a lawyer? Please advise. Thank you guys.

Comment

Forms are very simple which you can fill in yourself. Immigration may ask you for a waiver at the time of interview or earlier and then you can file it. Right now, after marriage you wife should sponsor you by filing i-130 and you should apply for your AOS I-485 and EAD I-765.
      All these Forms alongwith photos, G-325A, Medical and Affidavit of Support I-864 should be submitted together.
      Good luck.

Comment

thank you Umesh...
        The only thing that's bothering me if I do it on my own is the WAIVER. The lawyer told me that I won't need any waiver unless I was involved in criminal activities. Since my records are very clean except for the visa overstay... would I really need a waiver?

P.S.: I would appreciate comments from people with similar cases. I'd like to know whether it's a smooth process or a bumpy one.

Comment

One other thing: I've been looking at those forms that I need to submit to BCIS/INS and noticed that I need to write down my present Employer. When I disclose information about my current job and employer, will it backfire? Will INS/BCIS hold my employer responsible for the fact that they hired someone with no work authorization? I don't wanna harm my company for they have no idea about my situation.

Comment

I would like to know the answer to this also. My boyfriend was working in the U.S. unauthorized also, overstayed his visa. He was not a college student, however, just a restaurant worker. If I decided to marry him, and he is illegal, would his overstay be pardoned? I am a U.S. citizen

Comment

about the employer,
              Yes that might back fire against you! My employer was fined 2000 dollars for employing me!

But dont hide it from INS, if you will! That might lead to denying of immigration benefits!

Comment

Contact me at info@myronmorales.com for additional information.

Comment

once I start preparing my paperwork and file I-485, do I need to quit my unauthorized employment or just continue working till I receive my EAD and everything?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation