Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filing AR-11 as a Student.

My ˜INS-like' incompetent international student office informed me that I must file an AR-11.

Since there has not been a final ruling on the AR-11, should I submit the AR-11 now or wait till there is a final ruling on the matter?

I am, and have always been, legal but I am also hesitant to supply the INS with any ammunition that they can use against me.

My ˜INS-like' incompetent international student office informed me that I must file an AR-11.

Since there has not been a final ruling on the AR-11, should I submit the AR-11 now or wait till there is a final ruling on the matter?

I am, and have always been, legal but I am also hesitant to supply the INS with any ammunition that they can use against me.

Comment

If you don't fill it out with in 10 days of moving you could be deported, fined or imprisioned all sorts of nasty things.

As far as I know, It's just a change of address form.

Not sure what you mean by final ruling...

Comment

Not sure what you mean by final ruling...

I was under the impression that the AR-11 was only
        a proposed rule in the federal register.

Comment

It is a petty reason to deport someone, but apparantly they are doing so.

From this web sites archive:

This obligation is not a new, post-9/11 duty, but one that has been on the books and applies to all non-citizens.

Section 265(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act ("INA") states: "each alien required to be registered under this title who is within the United States shall notify the Attorney General in writing of each change of address and new address within ten days from the date of such change and furnish with such notice such additional information as the Attorney General might require by regulation."

The failure to comply with the provisions of INA § 265 is deportable, "unless the alien establishes to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that such failure was reasonably excusable or was not willful." INA § 237(a)(3)(A).

YOU MUST COMPLETE FORM AR-11 IF:

· You are in the United States on a nonimmigrant visa (ex: B, F-1, H-1B, L-1A).
          · You are currently in deportation or removal proceedings.
          · You have been admitted as a lawful permanent resident (i.e. hold a Green Card).
          · You hold a Green Card and have applied for naturalization, but your naturalization application is still pending.

· NOTE: each family member must complete a separate Form AR-11, however if your children were born in the United States, as U.S. citizens, they are not obligated to file the form.

Comment

AR-11's are nothing new. The law has always said that if you move you must file an AR-11. It is only that they have decided to enforce this law that everyone is 'talking' about it. So the short answer is simple: If you move, file an AR-11. They are free (for now) and simple to fill out! And the consequences of not filing it could be astronomical...

Comment

Thanks for your responses.

I have been in the US for over 7 years; I have never filed an AR-11.

I moved in Summer 2001 when I transfered to a new university. I have stayed in the same apartment since Summer 2001.

DO I file an AR-11 now or ONLY when I move?

Comment

If your address is different than the INS thinks it is, file the AR-11.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation