Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abroad with Greencard

I have a green card. Can I stay outside the United States for a two year period if I come back here now and then during those two years and stay for a few weeks each time?

I have a green card. Can I stay outside the United States for a two year period if I come back here now and then during those two years and stay for a few weeks each time?

Comment

Hi Nora! You can travel outside the U.S. for 2 years but make sure that before you leave the U.S. you get reentry permit. Those are generally good for 2 years. Then when you come back before the 2 years are up, you could get anther reentry permit. They may not grant it the second time. Also, you have to keep in mind that if you live abroad more than you live in the U.S. you are at risk of BCIS deeming that you abandoned your residency.

Comment

Do I need a reentry permit if I have a Greencard and only intend to stay out of the United States for about eight weeks at the time?

Comment

Yes, apply for a reentry permit. Your presence in the United States must be continuous to maintain your status. Short trips back are usually deemed insufficient, as you should be living in the U.S. The reentry permit is proof that you did not intend to abandon your status while you were living abroad.

info@myronmorales.com

Comment

Nora:

If you are going to be out of the United States for eight weeks, you do not need to apply for re-entry permit.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation