Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with NIV application.

I had overstayed my previous F-1 (D/S status)visa and I was summoned for a "removal hearing." I appeared before a judge and proptly took a Voluntary Departure and left within the alloted time.

I have an NIV (F-1) interview comming up next week, for which I have to submit the completed DS-156 application form.

In this form there is a question that askes wheater the applicant "has ever been the subject of a deportation hearing?" I am not sure wheather what I went through is a 'deportation hearing.' I think removal proceedings becomes a deportation hearing if you challenge it or seek to change your status. I did not challenge or seek to change my status.

Please explain the difference between 'removal hearing' and "deportation proceedings', if there is any, so that I will know the correct answer to the question and be able to explain more clearly to the consulate officer should he ask me about it.

(If you are familiar with the form, there is a seperate question as to wheather the applicant " ever violated the status of a US visa." The answer here is clear: I violated)

Thank you for your comments.

I had overstayed my previous F-1 (D/S status)visa and I was summoned for a "removal hearing." I appeared before a judge and proptly took a Voluntary Departure and left within the alloted time.

I have an NIV (F-1) interview comming up next week, for which I have to submit the completed DS-156 application form.

In this form there is a question that askes wheater the applicant "has ever been the subject of a deportation hearing?" I am not sure wheather what I went through is a 'deportation hearing.' I think removal proceedings becomes a deportation hearing if you challenge it or seek to change your status. I did not challenge or seek to change my status.

Please explain the difference between 'removal hearing' and "deportation proceedings', if there is any, so that I will know the correct answer to the question and be able to explain more clearly to the consulate officer should he ask me about it.

(If you are familiar with the form, there is a seperate question as to wheather the applicant " ever violated the status of a US visa." The answer here is clear: I violated)

Thank you for your comments.

Comment

Prior to 1996, a person was subject to either a deportation hearing or an exclusion hearing, depending on whether they had been admitted to the United States. In April of 1996, Congress did away with the distinction, called both hearings a removal hearing. Since then, courts have ruled that if you have been in a removal hearing, then you have been in a deportation hearing and vice-versa.

Comment

Wait for that to go through but I always understood updatedholidayhours.com that you can pretty much do everything with the citizenship but everything would be once your conditions are removed.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation