Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what to do after we marry... please help.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do after we marry... please help.

I have been with my fiance' for 2 years now. He has overstayed his tourist visa though and we will be getting married soon. If anyone can give me some simple steps of procedure on what to do, after we marry ie: forms to fill, timelines, and what to expect it would be greatly appreciated. Soon if possible. There has to be some method to all this maddness right? it seems very confusing to me and I do not know much about it. We would prefer not to get a lawyer for they are very expensive. if there is a step by step that would be very helpful.. thanks ..

I have been with my fiance' for 2 years now. He has overstayed his tourist visa though and we will be getting married soon. If anyone can give me some simple steps of procedure on what to do, after we marry ie: forms to fill, timelines, and what to expect it would be greatly appreciated. Soon if possible. There has to be some method to all this maddness right? it seems very confusing to me and I do not know much about it. We would prefer not to get a lawyer for they are very expensive. if there is a step by step that would be very helpful.. thanks ..

Comment

There are a lot of good books out there that can guide you step by step through the whole process. Look for one that has been published this year, preferrably with CD-ROM containing the various forms and checklists, and pertains to your situation. I used one published by Nolo and found it very easy to read and gave me lots of advice and bits of trivia that you can't find on the webpages. Using this, I did all my own paperwork (although my case is fairly straight-forward). Even if you were to use a lawyer, it's good to get up to speed with a book like this.
      Good Luck

Comment

That is a very good recommendation about the CD Rom and I think my quest for answers will probably take me there also, because I am still doing research. One other question though.. Does this program you used contain info on what to do first if you have overstayed, or is it just forward and truthful law and proccess for those elegible for specific visa opprotunities?

Comment

notsurehow,

Its nothing easy...you have to read yourself...go through immigration websites specially BCIS official websites. Read under "how to bring my spouse live in US". Its explain what you have to do. Go to google.com and search immigration forum. I found out British Expart and Rajiv Khanna forum really helpful. Under their search option you can find hundreds of questions and experiences to file for AOS. You will find its very helpful. Even in here if you type in search file AOS you will find lots of information. Good luck.

Comment

The BCIS website is a good place to start. You don't need a lawyer if your fiance originally entered the USA legally. Anyone with a highschool education can complete the forms themselves. However, I have heard that if he entered on a tourist visa, he may have to prove that he came here without the intentiont to get married to a US citizen.
            You will need to prove that you can support him at 125% of the poverty level. If you cannot, you are allowed to get a co-sponsor. He also has to get a physical to make sure he has no dangerous diseases, etc. There are a few people on this board who will be able to give you very good advice. I just now a very little from what I've read and learned here on this board.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation