Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage was proven legit, but still no greencard

My husband applied for permanent residency 2 years ago. We had our interview in September of last year. Since then, we've heard nothing. There was a complication in our case... I was previously married to another immigrant, but later separated from him. What I didn't know was that my ex had fraudently obtained his permanent greencard by forging my signature onto a document after we had been separated. I had no idea of this until INS brought it to my attention last year during the interview with my current husband. We were told that my current husband could not be granted a greencard until my ex-husband's case has been investigated, in order to clear me of any wrong doing. That was a year ago. We have wrote and called repeatedly over the past year and have had no response. The INS officer who interviewed us believed the signature was forged and also believes our current marriage is legit (which it absolutely is), so we weren't expecting things to take so long. I heard there has been a huge backlog of cases that were not responded to in the office we applied at (Los Angeles). We are moving to Boston and wondering whether it would be better to transfer the case over there. My husband is desparate to be able to travel to his country, because he has 2 children there that he has not seen in over 3 years, due to this pending application. He was denied advanced parole to travel there, and is unable to bring them here either, due to the laws in his country. What can we do?

My husband applied for permanent residency 2 years ago. We had our interview in September of last year. Since then, we've heard nothing. There was a complication in our case... I was previously married to another immigrant, but later separated from him. What I didn't know was that my ex had fraudently obtained his permanent greencard by forging my signature onto a document after we had been separated. I had no idea of this until INS brought it to my attention last year during the interview with my current husband. We were told that my current husband could not be granted a greencard until my ex-husband's case has been investigated, in order to clear me of any wrong doing. That was a year ago. We have wrote and called repeatedly over the past year and have had no response. The INS officer who interviewed us believed the signature was forged and also believes our current marriage is legit (which it absolutely is), so we weren't expecting things to take so long. I heard there has been a huge backlog of cases that were not responded to in the office we applied at (Los Angeles). We are moving to Boston and wondering whether it would be better to transfer the case over there. My husband is desparate to be able to travel to his country, because he has 2 children there that he has not seen in over 3 years, due to this pending application. He was denied advanced parole to travel there, and is unable to bring them here either, due to the laws in his country. What can we do?

Comment

Please...wating for a response. I posted 3 different messages, but got no replies. I'm anxiously hoping for some feedback...thanks!

Comment

Prepare for a very long wait. Even straighforward cases move at a snail pace if at all.

Consider hiring an immigration attorney to handle all this mess.

BTW, why was your husband denied advance parole?

Comment

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, we are looking around for attorneys now. I hope that it will make a difference in getting this case resolved sooner. It has been incredibly frustrating that we are now paying for the actions my ex made several years ago. Apparently, the INS has to clear me of any wrong doing, but honestly all I'm guilty of is having been an awful judge of character...my ex was not at all who he appeared to be...he was more like a con artist.

This causes strain in my current marriage. Although he doesn't say it, I know my husband feels resentful that I ever took up with the creep that put us in this predicament.....someone who has indirectly caused him to be unable to see his kids for over 3 years.

He was denied advanced parole because his visa expired 1 month prior to us getting married. We were ingorant about immigration law, and had we known this we would have married sooner.

Comment

what visa was he on?

Comment

He had an I-94 multiple entry visa...there were six years left on it. With that visa he could not stay in this country longer than six months at a time, so he would go back to his country twice a year and re-enter the U.S. without a problem. But, by the time we got married, the six month limit had passed by one month. At the time, we didn't think it would be a problem, since we were getting married and I'd be petioning for his permanent residency.

Comment

I-94 is not a visa. Its an entry/departure notice.

Again, you need to tell us which visa he was on.

Comment

Tourist

Comment

If people don't have real pertinent advice they should'nt reply. Anyway, if you were divorced properly then there should be no problem getting the green card for your new husband. You just need a good attorney on your side.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation