Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizenship Denial ?

I was denied citizenship because I pleaded guilty to a 4th degree gross misdeameanor assault back in 94. I submitted my application without doing any research, so I found out the hard way that for immigration purposes it is considered an aggravated felony. My application was denied without any removal proceedings.

I was given a year probation, so I have sucessfully hired a lawyer to modify that to 11 months. This continues to be the only stain on my record. I am in the U.S. Army and wanted to know what my chances are of getting a favorable decision on my appeal?? I am at a point in my career that requires citizenship.

thank you,

I was denied citizenship because I pleaded guilty to a 4th degree gross misdeameanor assault back in 94. I submitted my application without doing any research, so I found out the hard way that for immigration purposes it is considered an aggravated felony. My application was denied without any removal proceedings.

I was given a year probation, so I have sucessfully hired a lawyer to modify that to 11 months. This continues to be the only stain on my record. I am in the U.S. Army and wanted to know what my chances are of getting a favorable decision on my appeal?? I am at a point in my career that requires citizenship.

thank you,

Comment

A while ago there was a Presidential directive(?) to reduce certain residency requirents for the servicemen & women of our armed forces to quicken the Naturalization process.

Is there any similar relief for someone in your situation? Maybe some others on this board can shed some light on that or any exceptions that will allow you to continue your Naturalization process.

Comment

- you may apply for an executive pardon from the governour of the state the incident took place (that would make you immediatly eligible for naturalization) and in my humble opinion would be easy to obtain with some support from your commanding officer).
        - you may apply for an executive pardon with the U.S. president (more difficult to obtain)
        - you may apply for 212 waiver of deportability/inadmissiability with INS (for being convicted prior to 1996/97) and then Adjust your status. 5 yrs. aqumilation of good moral character should be suffice to obtain citizenship after that...) I believe this option is not activated at this time and will be available for only 180 days (once activated by the INS).

Good luck!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed