Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C1 visa and marriage

In breif. I met my husband 4 1/2 years ago. We became friends and moved in with each other 2 years ago. For my own personal information I called INS to see what the requirements were for marriage and explained my situation. The lady I spoke to said that there was no problem because I was an American born citizen. When the assylum was done a year or so later I called again and was given the same reassurance that as long as we were legitimate we were fine there was no need to worry. Now heard something different. I was told by someone I know that because he came here on a C1 visa even though we are now married that he still would be deported. Is this true or what? It seems that INS has different stories and so do other people. Does anyone know about this. Are they going to make me loose my husband? What can I do if anything? What makes me so sad is that you can't get a straight answer and that I cared enough to check out what the law requires because I am a responsible citizen and was not given the same courtesy by INS if the information I received isn't totally true.Any information you can give me would be helpful. Thanks a million for any help you can give me.

In breif. I met my husband 4 1/2 years ago. We became friends and moved in with each other 2 years ago. For my own personal information I called INS to see what the requirements were for marriage and explained my situation. The lady I spoke to said that there was no problem because I was an American born citizen. When the assylum was done a year or so later I called again and was given the same reassurance that as long as we were legitimate we were fine there was no need to worry. Now heard something different. I was told by someone I know that because he came here on a C1 visa even though we are now married that he still would be deported. Is this true or what? It seems that INS has different stories and so do other people. Does anyone know about this. Are they going to make me loose my husband? What can I do if anything? What makes me so sad is that you can't get a straight answer and that I cared enough to check out what the law requires because I am a responsible citizen and was not given the same courtesy by INS if the information I received isn't totally true.Any information you can give me would be helpful. Thanks a million for any help you can give me.

Comment

I will be facing the same thing also someday. May God bless you and your husband. Any additional information you can help us with concerning what actually happens with special registration would be helpful.. Please don't forget about us..

Comment

If he entered on a C-1, that means that he had nonimmigrant intent. Marraige shows immigrant intent. See the conflict.

However, marriage to a U.S. Citizen normally cures this problem. Please let me know if you have any questions at info@myronmorales.com

Comment

Hi,
          My husband and I struggling with the same problem,same situations.Unfortunately marriage to a US citizen DOESN'T Not cure tis problem.We've been to many lawyers they all said about the same thing.If you entered on C1 visa you can not adjust yo status not even thru marriage.
          The only thing you,we can do is HOPE for the 245(i)extension.
          I know it is very frustrating:-(In case you find a lawyer who can help you PLEASE LET me know!!!
          Good luck

Comment

I am sorry but because your husband came on a C1 visa, he is not eligible for adjustment of status. Marriage to a U.S. citizen allows one to petition for a greencard, but doesn't necessarily cure the ineligibility for adjustment of status. He can still get his greencard, but unfortunately he has to do consular processing in his home country. The problem with that is, that is has accumulated more than one year of illegal presence. And what that means is that when he exits the U.S., 10-year bar to reentry would be triggered.

You can apply for waiver of that bar, but your husband would end up having to stay in his home country for a while.

Comment

If you entered on C1 visa you can not adjust yo status not even thru marriage. https://www.cupertinoconcrete.com/

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation