Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family based sponsorship Preference 2B

My understanding is that a green card holder can sponsor his/her unmarried children over 21 years (Preference 2B) and this process may take upto 9 years depending on country of birth.

However, if during this rather long time (9 years), the child being sponsored gets married (prior to the file being current), does that mean that the petition/sponsorship is no longer valid?

Any help is appreciated.

My understanding is that a green card holder can sponsor his/her unmarried children over 21 years (Preference 2B) and this process may take upto 9 years depending on country of birth.

However, if during this rather long time (9 years), the child being sponsored gets married (prior to the file being current), does that mean that the petition/sponsorship is no longer valid?

Any help is appreciated.

Comment

You are Green Card Holder and you have sponsored your unmarried child over 21 years of age. If the person remains unmarried then only he can avail the benefit of F2B. The best way is sponsor him/her now and when you become a U.S. Citizen, then write a letter to the NVC to upgrade your petition. If the beneficiary will be still unmarried he will be classified as F1 else if he is married then will be classified as F3. Both category are much faster than F2 and F2B.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. Makes sense to apply for F2B now and change to F1 or F3 as applicable in the future (assumine priority date would be the same as original F2B petition).

Comment

guest2003:

Umesh has given you the right answer. To elaborate further, it is critical that the unmarried beneficiary should not get married till the petitioning parent has become a USC

Also many times, people make a mistake. One parent petiions and the other becomes USC. That is not going to help.

IMHO, the petition should be filed by the mother ( where ever possible). Why? Because women live longer. It is simple statistics.

Comment

I would advise for both the parents to file seperately also if you have sibling tell them to file because in my case my mother passed away before my priority date got current. Then my Father re-applied and now he has passed away. If my brother would have filed I have would have got my green card by now.
            Life is uncertain and INS can be unfair even when
            death strikes a family. I wish I would have known that both my parents would not have survived I remained unmarried to look after them.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Some thing similar happened to me. My mother was a GC holder and filed for my petition in 1993 ( priority became current in 2000 ). For some reason I did not get my GC through my mother as my company was doing good and I had applied GC through my company but now after the lay offs I want to file for the AOS through my mother. The problem is I got married in 2001 and my wife is here on H4.

If my mother file for her Citizenship and as soon as she becomes Citizen, Can I file for the AOS for my wife and for me right away? Did I lose my petition and the 1993 priority date by getting married?

Please advise.
              Thanks
              Desi27

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources