Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Urgent : N-400 interview tomorrow and I have a Question!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent : N-400 interview tomorrow and I have a Question!

Hi guys,
    I have to go to the citizenship interview tomorrow.
    There is one thing in my mind keeps bothering me.

I always think traffic violations is not a crime and so I think don't have to write in my N-400 application.
    I have one moving violation(passed red light) in 94 or something and another ticket from police officer for non-headlight(fixed it and dismissed).
    I just got my driver license renewed and asked DMV for my driving record and it's clean.
    It seems like even DMV is no longer to keep any record over 5 years.(in new york at least)

My question is INS now BCIS knows about my traffic violations through FBI's record?
    Do I have to mention it when INS review my application on my interview?
    Or since I didn't mention anything about traffic violations on my original application,should I be quiet?
    If I mention my traffice violations,they will deny my application?
    I've always thought traffice violations is not a crime but this thing keeps on bothering me.
    To be honest with you,I can't even find my original ticket and citation date.Even DMV is no longer have this information.
    I am really confused and don't know what to say tomorrow.
    Please help me and wish me luck,guys!

Hi guys,
    I have to go to the citizenship interview tomorrow.
    There is one thing in my mind keeps bothering me.

I always think traffic violations is not a crime and so I think don't have to write in my N-400 application.
    I have one moving violation(passed red light) in 94 or something and another ticket from police officer for non-headlight(fixed it and dismissed).
    I just got my driver license renewed and asked DMV for my driving record and it's clean.
    It seems like even DMV is no longer to keep any record over 5 years.(in new york at least)

My question is INS now BCIS knows about my traffic violations through FBI's record?
    Do I have to mention it when INS review my application on my interview?
    Or since I didn't mention anything about traffic violations on my original application,should I be quiet?
    If I mention my traffice violations,they will deny my application?
    I've always thought traffice violations is not a crime but this thing keeps on bothering me.
    To be honest with you,I can't even find my original ticket and citation date.Even DMV is no longer have this information.
    I am really confused and don't know what to say tomorrow.
    Please help me and wish me luck,guys!

Comment

I dont think the offenses you listed are considered crimes. Do not worry about them.

Comment

I think in the Good Moral question section (10.D) on the N400, they ask specifically about whether you ever been cited/detained by police officer(#16), which would be the case if you got a ticket. Failing to provide or withold the information might look bad for you from Morality stand point. Whether BCIS has that data, or whether that is strong enough reason for them to deny the applications is up for grabs
        I would think they might have the data, especially with all the background check thats going on, but its unlikely they'll deny it just based on that.

Comment

you'll be fine. You haven't done anything that would be taken as reason to be denied. I had 3 traffic violation tickets in the last couple years and went to my interview in Dec 02. Everything went great.
          Good luck :-)

Comment

Thanks....my problem is I didn't admit and mention on my application.
            Did you check yes and submit the copy of your ticket? Or you didn't mention about your traffic violations on your application like me?

I couldn't decide whether I should say first about this traffic violations before they ask or during the interview.

I am so stupid enough to say NO to arrested/cited/detained part.

I am willing to mention when they go over my application. Hope I don't open can of worms by telling this.

Comment

I personally don't think that the violations you mentioned would disqualify you from naturalization. Especially since they were rather minor and a statutuary period of over 5 yrs. are well due.

Try to take as much evidence with you as possible and answer all questions truthfully. If you were arrested/detained, and you are asked these specific questions, answer them truthfully. Don't volunteer explainantions or answers that you haven't been asked!

Before the interview, you will be made to swear to tell the truth ("under oath"), that's where you can legally correct mis-information in your application without that being used against you as a "lie" as long as it isn't a disqualifying factor for your naturalization. Good luck!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation