Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiancee Visa - Marriage

I am an American citizen born and raised. I met a woman on internet from Manila, Philipp. citizen.

Recently she has received her migration papers and will go from Manila to Australia. The friend who she will be staying with in Australia will meet her there in April, but she has the papers and is preparing. Once there, she will be working for the friend and he has promised her he can get her a a visitors visa within a week or so to come to the usa. She would love to get the visa for 3 month visit but not sure what amount of time will be approved. When approved, she plans to come to america to visit.

Now, we are more confused than ever. We want to be married, we have never met in person, but been together for a year. We were looking at different options. We are considering the fiancee visa route. Another option We had also thought about was to accidentally meet when she was here visiting usa, and we would marry in usa, but in reading some of your forum, this may be too risky. We also thought about me flying to see her in australia, marrying her there and getting paperwork for my new bride to come to usa.?? In reading everything, it is still difficult to sort out the best, safest route.

Any Suggestions?

I think answers to these questions may clear up some of our puzzled state.

question 1: if I apply for a fiancee visa, do you think they would still allow her a visitors visa from australia to usa in May '03 ??

question2: I have not flown to asia to see her yet and I understand I must do so. If she comes to visit me in usa, as the fiancee visa is being processed, would this count as our meeting for INS requirement and I would not have to fly to asia also?

question3? If I apply for fiancee visa, do you think she could just come and stay in usa while processing takes place on the fiancee visa, and they would extend the visitors visa for 6 months until fiancee visa comes through and is approved?

question4: Her being a citizen of the Philippines, is this going to complicate our attempts to get married now that she has migrated to Australia??

question 5: Do you think it would be faster and as sucessful for me to travel to australia, marry her and apply for paperwork.? how long does this process take?

question 6: As you digest all of this, can you think of and suggest any better ways that we might approach getting together instead of the fiancee visa?
    Maybe something that we didn't think of?

Thanks for any suggestions you can think of.
    God Bless !

I am an American citizen born and raised. I met a woman on internet from Manila, Philipp. citizen.

Recently she has received her migration papers and will go from Manila to Australia. The friend who she will be staying with in Australia will meet her there in April, but she has the papers and is preparing. Once there, she will be working for the friend and he has promised her he can get her a a visitors visa within a week or so to come to the usa. She would love to get the visa for 3 month visit but not sure what amount of time will be approved. When approved, she plans to come to america to visit.

Now, we are more confused than ever. We want to be married, we have never met in person, but been together for a year. We were looking at different options. We are considering the fiancee visa route. Another option We had also thought about was to accidentally meet when she was here visiting usa, and we would marry in usa, but in reading some of your forum, this may be too risky. We also thought about me flying to see her in australia, marrying her there and getting paperwork for my new bride to come to usa.?? In reading everything, it is still difficult to sort out the best, safest route.

Any Suggestions?

I think answers to these questions may clear up some of our puzzled state.

question 1: if I apply for a fiancee visa, do you think they would still allow her a visitors visa from australia to usa in May '03 ??

question2: I have not flown to asia to see her yet and I understand I must do so. If she comes to visit me in usa, as the fiancee visa is being processed, would this count as our meeting for INS requirement and I would not have to fly to asia also?

question3? If I apply for fiancee visa, do you think she could just come and stay in usa while processing takes place on the fiancee visa, and they would extend the visitors visa for 6 months until fiancee visa comes through and is approved?

question4: Her being a citizen of the Philippines, is this going to complicate our attempts to get married now that she has migrated to Australia??

question 5: Do you think it would be faster and as sucessful for me to travel to australia, marry her and apply for paperwork.? how long does this process take?

question 6: As you digest all of this, can you think of and suggest any better ways that we might approach getting together instead of the fiancee visa?
    Maybe something that we didn't think of?

Thanks for any suggestions you can think of.
    God Bless !

Comment

I have heard that going to her country to marry her and aquiring the paperwork is a faster process and also safe.? But it is just hear say. For what it's worth. Best of Luck to you .

Comment

1. Can't use K-1 if you have not met face-toface within last 2 years, or have a waiver of requirement due to cultural/religious prohibitions.
        She can come here or you there or meet in the middle.

2. Fiancee needs to be outside of US (home country) while processing either K-1 or K-2 (spouse visa) because she will have to go to US Consulate there to even get visa. So even if she comes to visit she will have to return to either the Phillipines or Austrailia (I believe it would be wherever she is registered as a citizen, not necessarily an immigrant)

3. Maybe able to stay in US on visitor's visa, but may not be able to enter US as when you begin K-1 or K-2 process you are stating your intention for her to live in the US, not visit. Can be some problems here, but maybe not.

4. You can always "spontaneously" decide to get married if she is here on a vistor's visa, as long as you do not state the intent to get married or stay when she enters the US. This is a sneaky and possibly illegal way around the law, but if you get married here again "spontaneously", she can stay here and adjust her status without a visa. This is very risky though and I won't recommend it, but hey I had to throw it out there for you.

Also Google.com has a news group/message board for marriage based visas. Go to google groups and look under marriage based visa. (Excellent)

Good luck

Comment

my husband and I were in similar situation. We went the traditional fiancee visa. If you are in Vermont region, it is also much faster.

Comment

I had a friend that thought about the spontaneous meeting. Since 9/11, the are so much more skeptical.

Comment

I am an Australian, permanent resident of teh U.S., married to a Filipina resident in Australia. My wife cannot enter the U.S. as she has "immigration intent" and as I an LPR not a citizen she has to wait out the quota on her category of immigrant visas. This situation *****.

It is normally nearly impossible for a single Filipina to get a tourist visa to the U.S., but as she is resident in Australia, that will be a lot easier. My advice is get her to visit you in America, but not with the intention of staying to marry you. If it works out then either follow her back to Australia and marry her there or marry her here and then look at her immigration options. I have been told that processing in Australia is faster than most other places, especially Manila.

I suggest it is both of your interests to meet first without any wedding plans to see if you are really made for each other.

Comment

it is a lot easier to file for a fiancee visa than a K3. and if she is in australia on a resident visa, it will be a lot easier than in manila in the sense that there won't be no queue at the embassy. the mbassy in the philippine is terrible! you have to wait like forever to schedule for an interview. however, i believe that the time line for a fiancee' visa is 3-12 mos. good luck!

Comment

Maria, Thank you very much ! you are very kind
                  Are you saying in your response that now that she is in Australia, that if we go the fiancee visa route, her interview will be in Australia now and not in Manial? I am new to all of this and appreciate this so much. God Bless !

Comment

yes, if she is in Australia and is working or living there.

Comment

To Gregg:
                      It is true, there won't be much waiting time in Australia but you have never met her face to face. You are not engaged yet, so you can not apply for Fiance Visa. The only option is to get married to her in Australia and sponsor her there Or US Visitor Visa and once she is in, you can get married and sponsor her here. Marrying in US will be much better for both of you.
                      Good luck.

Comment

you really have to meet her first. unless you can superimpose pictures?

Comment

Surprised. You didn't meet?
                          You have to do it, see her family, friends, spend as much as possible time together. If you want to be happy for rest of life you have to know well person you want to marry.
                          I spent with my fiancee almost few times for few months for 2 years before he allplyied to K-1 for me and K-2 for my kid. My tourist's visa was not expired, but US ambassy cancelled it, while i've got K-1.
                          Aproval process for fiancee vice in Vermont was fast, about 2 month, but sure we had to prove all personal meetings and serious relationships.
                          Good luck.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed