International Medical Graduates (IMGs) in US

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once you receive a green card, there are only 2 conditions required to keep it for life. First, you must not become removable or inadmissible. The most common way of doing this is to be convicted of a serious crime.

The second requirement is that you not abandon the United States as your permanent residence. Residence, for immigration purposes, is a question of your intent when you depart the country. As long as you are not planning to make your home somewhere else, then legally you are still a resident of the United States. Problems arise, however, because the INS will try to judge your intention by the way you act.

As a general rule, if you have a green card and leave the United States for more than 1 year, you may have a difficult time reentering the country. That is because the INS feels an absence of longer than 1 year indicates a possible abandonment of U.S. residence. Even if you do return before 1 year is up, you may run into trouble. ***To avoid a full-scale inspection, you should return within 6 months.

It is a common misconception that to keep your green card all you need to do is enter the United States at least once a year. The fact is that if you ever leave with the intention of making some other country your permanent home, you give up your U.S. residency when you go. Once again, the INS will look to your behavior for signals that your real place of residence is not the United States.

On the other hand, remaining outside the United State for more than 1 year does not mean you have automatically given up your green card. If your absence was intended from the start to be only temporary, you may still keep your permanent resident status. Staying away for more than 1 year does mean, however, that you may no longer use your green card as a U.S. entry document. Under these circumstances, you must either apply at a U.S. consulate for a special immigrant visa as a returning resident or you must get what is known as a Reentry Permit.

Reentry Permits
    ---------------

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fo...iles/I-131.pdf

Reentry permits are for people who hold green cards and know in advance that they must be outside the United States for more than 1 year. Under such circumstances, the INS can allow you to stay away for up to 2 years. You should apply for this privilege before leaving. If the application is approved, a Reentry Permit will be issued. The permit will help you prove that your absence from the United States is not an abandonment of residence. It also serves as an entry document when you are ready to return. Reentry Permits cannot be renewed and can be applied for only inside the United States. If you want to stay away for more than 2 years, you must return briefly and apply for another reentry permit.

Comment

Time has shown that immigrants who come once-twice a year just to keep the green card, are ultimately tired of doing this, and give up. They lose the green card.

Comment

So, the question arises: is one better off becoming a doctor in his own country or say, a medical assistant in America?

Comment

I would say that in the United States there is a definite tendency on the people's part not to think too much about schooling and the like; the American society is very elitist and there are pretty well defined expectations for each and every person here. Of course immigrants have double hurdles to pass. If you look carefully at a couple of responses on this thread this becomes evident.

Of course, it is not that an American doctor is a better doctor than say a French or German one. Just because the American doctor's parents had to pay around $160,000 to put him/her through college and medical school and the French doctor only paid the equivalent of $40,000 in tuition costs, it does not mean the French doctor is less qualified. In fact, it means that the French doctor is much less conditioned by the consumerist American culture that has reduced medicine to a farce serving the interests of big businesses selling drugs to people turned by force into patients (!) Not to mention the definite insensitivity of the American culture to the human spirit, so important for the treatment of a patient.

The adverse responses on this thread, looks like to me, are also indicative of a great prejudice against intellectual effort. You know, I've noticed that here in the U.S., for instance, people will deliberately 'dumb down' to avoid being seen as clever. They will pretend not to know things they quite clearly do know because it makes them look like regular guys. Bright children will try hard to do badly in school to avoid less bright children picking on them. Have you ever noticed how even well-educated announcers on radio and TV will try hard to mispronounce foreign words because to get it right would be bad for their image?

Anti-intellectualism is very much an Anglo-American preserve (though there are plenty of other countries that have their own versions: try being an independent thinker in Japan and see how far you get!). There are countries such as France, Germany, and Israel, where intellect is recognized and highly valued. You know, in America people tend to think there's no point in...thinking! They say it allows them to ignore their mortality and comfort themselves with the reassuringly trivial. "I've too much to do to worry about all that," or, if you are a British, "Let's have a nice cup of tea." But if you consider life carefully you have to consider the question: What is it for? If you do not accept any of the pre-packaged religious answers, then you have a philosophical problem on your hands.

Well, in America anyone outside the Church and universities who shows signs of excessive thoughts looks like is really playing a dangerous game. Writers, for example, are frequently ignored if they are say anything that challenges the established order or, if they push it too far, they may be silenced. And while in some countries this will happen by the crude methods of persecution, in others it'll be accomplished by the less obvious application of commercial pressure or social disapproval. Take the case of Salman Rushdie. Leaving aside arguments about the literary merit of THE SATANIC VERSES, it is significant that he was persecuted simply for thinking dangerous thoughts. It is also interesting that the profoundly anti-intellectual public has little difficulty in recognizing dangerous thoughts even when it doesn't fully understand them. It is well known that many of the people who burnt Rushdie's book had never read it. How could they? It was far too dangerous for that!

Comment

Hello:

I am a foreign medical graduate, like the dude of this thread, and I was trying to figure out whether I could become a doctor in the U.S. I have everything's needed, I am white, have good credentials, proper attitude, smoldering looks, good family, etc; I have only something that might put me in disadvantage, I never wear underwear. Do you think it'll be a problem?

Comment

I guess not; just don't tell that to anyone.

Comment

LOL "Don't Think So"!

Comment

Well, in America, whenever one poppy lifts its showy head above the others, it is cut down.

Comment

It's the culture that makes Americans not think and reason, it's not that we are really stupid and anti-intellectual.

Comment

That's what we're talking about, USC, the culture causing these things...

Comment

Hmmm..

Comment

deport illegal aliens

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board