•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPECIAL REGISTRATION FOR ARAB IMMIGRANTS WILL REPORTEDLY STOP

Rachel L. Swarns, New York Times, 11/2/03
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/22/politics/22REGI.html

WASHINGTON - The Homeland Security Department has decided to stop a program that required thousands of Arab and Muslim men to register with immigration authorities after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, officials said on Friday.

Hoping to hunt down terrorists, immigration officials fingerprinted, photographed and interviewed 85,000 Muslim and Arab noncitizens from November 2002 to May 2003 under the program. The effort, the largest to register immigrants in decades, required annual reporting. Men from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan and Syria began going to immigration offices for a second round of registrations this month.

Officials have acknowledged that most of the Arabs and Muslims who have complied with the requirements had no ties to terrorist groups. Of the 85,000 men who went to immigration offices early this year, as well as tens of thousands screened at airports and border crossings, 11 had links to terrorism, officials said.

The program was sharply criticized by civil liberties groups and advocates for immigrants. The critics said it did little to find terrorists and alienated the very communities that could help uncover terrorists. Advocates for immigrants have also complained that immigration officials have done little to publicize the second round, touching off waves of confusion and anxiety.

Government officials said questions had arisen about the effectiveness of the program. They said an announcement about ending it might be made as early as next week...
    Beware of small expenses. A small leak could sink a big ship.

Rachel L. Swarns, New York Times, 11/2/03
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/22/politics/22REGI.html

WASHINGTON - The Homeland Security Department has decided to stop a program that required thousands of Arab and Muslim men to register with immigration authorities after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, officials said on Friday.

Hoping to hunt down terrorists, immigration officials fingerprinted, photographed and interviewed 85,000 Muslim and Arab noncitizens from November 2002 to May 2003 under the program. The effort, the largest to register immigrants in decades, required annual reporting. Men from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan and Syria began going to immigration offices for a second round of registrations this month.

Officials have acknowledged that most of the Arabs and Muslims who have complied with the requirements had no ties to terrorist groups. Of the 85,000 men who went to immigration offices early this year, as well as tens of thousands screened at airports and border crossings, 11 had links to terrorism, officials said.

The program was sharply criticized by civil liberties groups and advocates for immigrants. The critics said it did little to find terrorists and alienated the very communities that could help uncover terrorists. Advocates for immigrants have also complained that immigration officials have done little to publicize the second round, touching off waves of confusion and anxiety.

Government officials said questions had arisen about the effectiveness of the program. They said an announcement about ending it might be made as early as next week...

Comment

Welcome terrorists !!!

Well only 11 terrorists were found so asking 85,000 people some questions was a sure waste of time; huh ? It is such a violation of civil liberties to ask questions ! FIRST, IDIOT, fewer than 5000 people were questioned. This is a very well known fact so you are lying. 11 terrorists could kill thousands or millions of people. If you don't think helping the government catch these people isn't worth your precious time, then get the hell out of MY country. And it is MY country because I would GLADLY help MY country catch terrorists in any way possible. If opening my doors to help MY country defend the lifes and freedoms of MY people, then I am more than happy to help MY country. "Sacrificing" a few minutes of time to prevent YOU savages from attacking us is not a civil rights violation. It is merely routine police procedure. Which by the way, is the most humane police in the world and IMHO way too polite for the likes of you. Get out you stinking Arab liar.

Comment

Actually, the reason they're apparently dropping special registration is that they're putting in a tracking system for all nonimmigrants.

Comment

Michael,

If the FBI demands registration and does interviews randomly to 85,000 US CITIZENS, I can assure you they will find more than 11 murderes, rapist, drug dealers, wife-batters or any other violent criminals. I know INS is well intended (protect national security) but there are legal and moral ways to achive their goals. Selecting a group of people because of their nationality is simpley discriminatory and promotes hate reactions (from both sides). The fact that the terrorists in WWC were muslims doesnt mean that all muslims are terrorist. Remember that american guy who put the bomb in an Oklahoma federal bulding? What religion was he? Who cares? Did the FBI start being suspicios of all the white protestan Oklahoma guys? Its nonsense. And Wacko, Texas?

Many countries suffer from terrorist attacks and not because of that their people has to be catalog as terrorists. UK has the IRA, Spain has the ETA, Colombia the FARC (if you want, call it guerrilla). Can you imagine the INS telling all the British to register because they are suspected terrorists?

Dont label people because of its origins. US has more than 3/4 of all the serial killer in the world. Would you like that the rest of the world labels all americans as serial killers?

Comment

Michael:

Before you call names, you should read the post.
            ZabZub has posted the NY Times article and it clearly states the 85000 figure. It's true that almost 85000 male from muslim countries were called in for special registration.

Comment

Congrats to those who are free from registration.

Nothing is sweeter than an answered prayer in Ramadan.

Comment

Fool; for your pathetic enlightenment; thousands of people who fit various "right wing" profiles were questioned after Oklahoma City. Of course they will profile middle east people; duuuuh

Comment

US Citizens can do whatever the **** hell they want. It's our freakin' country.

If we allow you to come here, and you abuse that privilege or try to kill us. Well, we got a little problem here.

-= nav =-

Comment

US ends special registration
                    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...g_foreigners_6

Comment

It's on yahoo news and also see the link below.
                      http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRe...d=146-12012003

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed