Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help

In 1967 I was issued a green card. Several months after receiving it I returned to Canada and surrendered the card at the border. Not being able to find a job, I returned to the U.S. I finally applied, 3 yrs ago, to adjust my status to legal resident which has been denied because: the I.N.S. claimed I turned in my card to avoid being drafted.--Which means I will never be eligible for permanent resicence under any circumstances. Any suggestions, anyone?

In 1967 I was issued a green card. Several months after receiving it I returned to Canada and surrendered the card at the border. Not being able to find a job, I returned to the U.S. I finally applied, 3 yrs ago, to adjust my status to legal resident which has been denied because: the I.N.S. claimed I turned in my card to avoid being drafted.--Which means I will never be eligible for permanent resicence under any circumstances. Any suggestions, anyone?

Comment

Is the INS accusing you of avoiding the draft or just saying that you made yourself unavailable during the draft (your gain) as a result of your returning to Canada? There's a huge difference.

Comment

I.N.S. states that I avoided service in the armed forces.

Comment

An amnesty for draft dodgers took place long ago, so was there anything else on which your denial was based? Were you in the country illegally (illegal crossing, overstaying) at any time or did they suspect you were? Seems there is something else to go with it.

Comment

I returned to the U.S. approx. 2 mths after turning in my card. So I have been in the U.S. since 1968 working illegally. I am legally entitled to adjust my status based on the length of time I have been living here. Denial of the adjustment of status was based solely on the draft issue.--so states the INS. Draft amnesty applied only to U.S. citizens, I believe.

Comment

Then your issue is how to meet requirements for residency based on length of time here. It is not as easy as people think. Sounds like you need a good immigration lawyer, especially with Homeland Security and the extra scrutiny. You might want to take your questions to Mohan, who is knowledgeable about applications like yours. Mohan is a poster to this board.

Comment

Its long time you have your card turned in, and you eas in the US Illigally, you must have created records in INs File the best thing to do is to hire a lawyer and get the FOIA and see what is in your INS file. You might need couple of waiver but I,m preety sure you will be able to adjust your status.under 245a ,LULAC is the best option you have and its still valid. talk to good lawyer in your area.

Comment

Three years ago you was not able to adjust it but Law changed, you have to file again.

Comment

CSS and LULAC

Comment

what's LULLAC PLEASE ???

THANKS mOHAN

Comment

Mohan, please l know you have a lot of ideas and suggestions regarding different issues, but please try to spell English right. I don't mean to offend you or anything but l have noticed that there isn't a single sentence without a mistake.I don't know if you are in a hurry or have trouble spelling. It can be a little annoying sometimes. Well, l hope you take this as a friendly advice and let it help you improve your skills.
                        Good luck to you.

Comment

I am answering more then three sites and trying to help people who really need advice. if I care for spellings then I might not be able to answer to the max.
                          it takes a lots, sometimes to search the Law DATABASE and to answer thr right answer.
                          Its just a direction to the people
                          Sorry about the mistakes, but I care about the answers more then the mistakes.

Comment

I've read a lot of your posts and am grateful for the advice you offer. You've answered a lot of my questions and have helped a lot of people. Keep on helping, forget the editing. Your message is clear and gets across, and the main thing is your answer. Thank you for your efforts.

Comment

Thanks for encouragement

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs