How do you process a waiver?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to Spouse: I 601's are adjudicated only by INS/DHS. An I 212 is processed by the port of entry where the alien was deported from - again, not by the consulate. The consulate may prepare the cover page and a few other small details for INS/DHS when these forms are sent to the appropriate place.
    As far as the 5 year bar, since it is administered by INS/DHS, they don't always update the records and so someone at the consulate may not see this bar on their computer, but the bar shows up during a later period of processing. That may explain why some consular officials might not know about a bar for a person right away.
    A consular officer has no way to bar someone for 5 years - they have authority to find someone ineligible for the 3 or 10 year bar or for a permanent one (like fraud, for example) - but the actions that bring about a 5 year bar are controlled exclusively by INS/DHS inspectors at airports (or other ports).
    Hope this helps

Comment

Ok, ok...

Comment

Thanks someone! I already knew all of that and, in fact, it was exactly what I wanted to communicate (although the consulate can forward the I-212 to the POE).

I am glad that we agree and that you have been able to communicate it in another way, that might be more clear.

Thanks again!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed