Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rough Neighbor:
    wala nga palang anuman... the pleasure is mine po.
    Hi Rough Neighbor

check your private message

Comment

• As this is an old thread started in 2003, it is being closed. Please feel free to open up a new thread to continue the discussion.

Regards.
      http://www.ilw.com

Comment

• Hi All: We are unlocking all threads (except the sticky on the top of the board, and one other thread, explained at: http://discuss.ilw.com/eve/forums/a/...410649341/p/5). This was a popular thread in the past, and perhaps folks here want to revive it. If so, please go ahead. - Sam.

Comment

• Hi Sam,

Didn't know this existed - thanks for unlocking it.

That's a nice avatar.
          Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, as long as ever you can.

--John Wesley

Comment

• Thanks, Mrs. B - I like the avatar too. Our tech guru here arranged this for me (so I cheated a little!). - Sam.

Comment

• Hi Sam,

I'm soo glad this is a unique avatar of yours. As our moderator, we need to know that you're the real one (remember that ILWAdministrator?)

--John Wesley

Comment

• Hi Mrs. B.,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but any of us could use Sam's avatar. It's an image on the internet that can be easily copied. I hope Sam is the real deal too!

Comment

• LOL! You're right, silly me!

Well...now that we're on that topic, just to say that I loved those sparkling message you have in the Valentine's thread.

I have a pm for you.

--John Wesley

Comment

• To Mrs. B and ProudUSC and anyone else on this board: If anyone needs to verify the authenticity of anyone posting on this board on behalf of ILW.COM, all you have to do is to email webmaster@ilw.com and ask for a reply confirming authenticity. A reply should be forthcoming in one business day. - Sam.

Comment

• I sure wish he'd verify that whknapp is not explora so that crazy woman Beverly will leave me alone.

Comment

• After one of these threads were closed, I thought it was the one that had about 13,000 viewers, maybe it was this one...but they opened up a newer thread but it died out. I think there's a newer one than this one.

Comment

• Who's Afraid of Philippine English?

By Ma. Lourdes S. Bautista
                          Professor Emeritus
                          De La Salle University, Manila

One thing is certain: We shouldn't be afraid of it. Philippine English is a legitimate variety of English, just like the other new varieties of English or "new Englishes:" Singapore English, Malaysian English, Indian English,Hong Kong English in this part of the world, and Nigerian English, South African English, Jamaican English, Fijian English, Kenyan English further afield. These new Englishes are usually juxtaposed against the "older Englishes," the English varieties that we have long recognized as "English" such as British English, American English, and Australian English. But the English spoken in Thailand or in Japan or in China is not part of the group called new Englishes.

Another way of looking at these varieties is to group countries into those countries where English is spoken as a first language (UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand), those countries where English is spoken as a second or official language (e.g., Singapore, Malaysia, India, Hong Kong, the Philippines), and those countries where English is spoken as a foreign language (e.g., Japan, Thailand, Korea, China). We need to mention here that these distinctions are becoming blurred because in countries like India, Singapore and even the Philippines, children are beginning to speak English as a first language. However, the old categorization is still generally helpful.

If the English in Thailand, Japan, and China does not fall under varieties of English, the question then becomes: What makes a variety of English? Susan Butler, publisher of the Macquarie Dictionary (the national dictionary of Australia), proposed five criteria which can be summarized in five words/phrases, and I give them below together with comments on how we fulfill the criteria:
                          1. Accent - We have a recognizable pattern of English pronunciation handed down across generations.
                          2. Vocabulary - We have developed and are developing English words and phrases which are unique to our variety to describe features of our social and cultural life.
                          3. History - Our colonial history under the Americans, including the educational system they introduced, has produced and influenced the English variety that we speak.
                          4. Creative writing - We are proud of our creative writers whose fiction, poetry, essays, dramas, and literary criticism in English rank among the best in the world.
                          5. Reference works - Our linguists and language educators are in the process of producing dictionaries, grammars, and style manuals of Philippine English.

What are some of the phonological features of Philippine English (henceforth, PE)? Perhaps here we can distinguish between the highly-educated and not-so-highly- educated PE speakers. First, even our best speakers typically do not produce a puff of air when pronouncing the initial sound in pet, take, cab; in the linguist jargon, we do not aspirate our initial p, t, k. To do so would sound too Americanized, too affected. Second, even our best speakers do not reduce unaccented vowels but give each syllable the full value; thus, e-co-no-my, not e-conmy, pa-ral-lel, not parl-lel. Because we give each syllable its full value (as we do in our Philippine languages), PE is said to have syllable-timed rhythm rather than the stress-timed rhythm of American English or British English. Asian Englishes in general have syllable-timed rhythm, and this may be the reason why several studies have shown that Asians understand each other English much better than they understand the English of native speakers.

In the not-so-highly- educated PE pronunciation, the consonants t and th, d and dh, p and f, b and v, have the same pronunciation; thus, tree andthree, fate and faith, day and they, pour and four, bat and vat are pronounced the same way. As for the vowels, sometimes there is no lengthening or tensing of certain vowels so that i and y, and o and oware pronounced the same way, resulting in the same pronunciation for ship and sheep, bought and boat. And of course we know the way many Filipinos pronounce the first vowel of apple.

In this borderless world, we have gotten used to different accents, if only because of our exposure to CNN there we see and hear the internationalizatio n of the pronunciation of English. What should our attitude be to our distinct way of pronouncing English? If only we could be so proud of our Filipino-ness that we could adopt the attitude of a foreign affairs minister of Singapore who said, "When I'm abroad and someone should hear me talking to another person on a train, I hope they say, he is a Singaporean."

What are the words that constitute the PE lexicon? One set would consist of borrowings from Spanish, Tagalog and other languages, words like merienda, bienvenida, despedida, pakikisama, barkada, pasalubong, japayuki, taipan. Another set would be abbreviations like CR, DI, TY, GRO, MRT, KKB. And then there are the clippings: Ballpen(where Americans would say ballpoint), aircon, kinder, promo, sem. PE is also enriched through analogical constructions, words like awardee, honoree, mentee (on the analogy of employee, examinee), rallyist (on the analogy of soloist), bedspacer, carnapper, holdupper (on the analogy of homeowner), masteral degree (on the analogy of doctoral degree).

In addition, there are coinages, some of which may use analogy and clipping: Imeldific (exaggeratedly ostentatious), Taglish (Tagalog-English mixed utterances), trapo (from traditional politician), eat-and-run (going to a party, eating, leaving immediately, with hardly any socializing) . There is the process called compounding, one of the biggest contributors to the PE lexicon: Bar girl, dirty ice cream (ice cream produced by small ice cream makers and sold on the street), dirty kitchen (in rich homes, the kitchen where the messy or real cooking is done), Filipino time, green joke (risque or obscene joke),macho dancer, phone pal, balikbayan box, colegiala English, turo-turorestaurant. The compounding forms "mate" and "boy" have added new items to our vocabulary: Batchmate, dormmate, officemate, provincemate, seatmate, textmate; houseboy, gasoline boy, room boy, watch-your-car boy.

Maybe the PE words that will cause the greatest trouble to foreigners are those words that have undergone a semantic shift, words likesalvage, motel, gimmick, prep school. Salvage in contemporary PE sometimes means to summarily execute; in other Englishes it means to save. Motel in PE means a hotel for premarital or extramarital ***; in other Englishes, it is a roadside hotel with parking for cars. Gimmick in PE is a night out with friends; in other Englishes it is something done to attract notice or publicity. Prep school in PE is preparatory to Grade 1; in American English, preparatory to college.

Just last week, an American friend called my attention to the word we use when we take pictures in the Philippines; American English would ask people to "move closer;" here we ask people to "compress." And we can simply list some words for food, flora and fauna, national identity/culture that are part of PE: Adobo, lechon, pan de sal, sinigang; calamansi, lanzones, lapu-lapu, macapuno, ube; bayanihan, balagtasan, harana, tinikling.

There is no space here to present some features of the grammar of PE that will be the subject matter for a future article. In short, this new approach to English, called the World Englishes perspective, debunks the old paradigm which claims that "native speakers own the language" and therefore that indigenized Englishes somehow manifest the deterioration of standards.

Instead, this new paradigm advances the notion that indigenized Englishes demonstrate the adaptation of English to varied contexts. Thus, we shouldn't be afraid of Philippine English and we can end this article on an almost triumphalistic note. In the famous and often-quoted words of Filipino poet Gemino Abad, "English is now ours. We have colonized it too."

Comment

• Great article RN. I am working on those aspirations though, Mr. Boston Accent (hubby) is always calling my attention on that, sheesh. (With the way he's going, pretty soon, I'll be speaking like you and other US natives. )

--John Wesley

Comment

• Mrs B. Can You Say "I Have To Go Pack something In The Kitchen"??? LOL.

yes Good Article RN.

P.S. Goes Both Ways Also. Many Many Years Ago When I Was Learning Tagalog. I Was Greeted By Friends Mother For First Time In Tagalog And I Responded With "MY Booty"! LOLOLOL. Thought She Was Gonna Pass Out Laughing.
                              USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

Comment

• MIR -

(Most people don't interchange their p's and f's, you won't hear that in the metro area. There are some who do speak like that, they're concentrated in an area in Luzon. )

--John Wesley

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed