Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!!!

I hate the INS. I truly hate them at the moment. They are the most incompetent organization that exists.

Please help me. Let me know if there is any type of rhyme or reason to any of this. Has ANYONE ever experienced anything like this? Or did the embassy really just screw up as I tend to think that they did?

My husband went to the embassy today to drop of the waiver forms. Relatively simple, right? Pay, leave the applications, and leave to wait six months. WRONG!

He went to the embassy, and was sent all over and ended up waiting in the wrong place for several hours. When they finally called him, they told him that he was in the wrong place, apologized, and sent him somewhere else (the same place he was fingerprinted in December.)

At this point, they re-fingerprinted him (as previously mentioned he had already been fingerprinted at the embassy and received his results, why on earth would they do this again? All, they said was "it's procedure")

Then we had a relatively large packet for our waiver applications, with all of the necessary supporting documents, and they refused to accept the whole packet. They accepted only the waiver forms, and like a doctors letter and a few other things that my husband was able to pull out and give to them.

So they don't have half of the supporting documents, and I am not even sure if they have the complete written argument, or our statements (I haven't actually spoken to my husband yet. I have just gotten an email and spoken to his mom. I will fill you in on necessary details later).

This makes no sense whatsoever, and more than anything it appears that someone screwed up. Please tell me this is not standard procedure. I definitely expect to receive a denial without all of the appropriate supporting and other materials.

Is this at all normal? What should our next step be? My father is talking about getting in touch with a senator, any ideas on exactly how personal contact can be made?

Advice, suggestions, and/or support would be appreciated. Thank you all so much for being there!

I hate the INS. I truly hate them at the moment. They are the most incompetent organization that exists.

Please help me. Let me know if there is any type of rhyme or reason to any of this. Has ANYONE ever experienced anything like this? Or did the embassy really just screw up as I tend to think that they did?

My husband went to the embassy today to drop of the waiver forms. Relatively simple, right? Pay, leave the applications, and leave to wait six months. WRONG!

He went to the embassy, and was sent all over and ended up waiting in the wrong place for several hours. When they finally called him, they told him that he was in the wrong place, apologized, and sent him somewhere else (the same place he was fingerprinted in December.)

At this point, they re-fingerprinted him (as previously mentioned he had already been fingerprinted at the embassy and received his results, why on earth would they do this again? All, they said was "it's procedure")

Then we had a relatively large packet for our waiver applications, with all of the necessary supporting documents, and they refused to accept the whole packet. They accepted only the waiver forms, and like a doctors letter and a few other things that my husband was able to pull out and give to them.

So they don't have half of the supporting documents, and I am not even sure if they have the complete written argument, or our statements (I haven't actually spoken to my husband yet. I have just gotten an email and spoken to his mom. I will fill you in on necessary details later).

This makes no sense whatsoever, and more than anything it appears that someone screwed up. Please tell me this is not standard procedure. I definitely expect to receive a denial without all of the appropriate supporting and other materials.

Is this at all normal? What should our next step be? My father is talking about getting in touch with a senator, any ideas on exactly how personal contact can be made?

Advice, suggestions, and/or support would be appreciated. Thank you all so much for being there!

Comment

If you are USC then you should contact your Senator and get a letter from his office. It would be better if you can travel and go there yourself and talk to the U.S. Embassy. Being a USC, you have every right to talk to any official in the Embassy.
      Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for input Umesh. I really appreciate it.

So this sounds messed up to you too? Any ideas about how to get in touch with the Senator? My father is going to try to call (he has the title of Dr., is sixty, and is male, so I think he might get a little more attention, but we will see.

I will try to call the embassy tomorrow.... I am a month away from defending my masters thesis and if I have to go down there right now I probably could graduate this semester... although I might see if someone can lend me a little money if you really think it wil help, and oh I don't know...

I have just had the worst luck with this whole thing!

Thanks so much for your post! You are truly a blessing to this board Umesh

Comment

Madame,

Don't hate the INS. Just cool down. The Immigration Law is complicated and implementing it is complex.

I would suggest you to get an Immigration Lawyer to represent you before the INS. Even if he / she cannot change the way the INS works, he / she can manage rebutting their decision and professionally show them that they didn't follow the procedures or violated some statutes, which may give you a chance to pursue your case.

However, hiring a lawyer may draw costs [sometimes big], although you may find a good one in nonprofit organizations.

Take care,

Jean Jacques.

Comment

Cher Jean Jacques,
            you need to read the whole story of spouse to understand why she is so maddddddd...I bet you are new to this board..so BIENVENUE ALORS !!

it sad to hear that spouse but don't let things like that upset you...that's the way it is...just
            keep up with your struggle...and let me tell you one more time (and I am sure I already said that in the past ) I am so impressed by yr devotion to this man...god you must really love him
            Good luck to both of you and may god reunite you as soon as possible...
            good luck

Comment

I don't think it's the INS entirely. Part of the problem is "the times" and the scrutiny given the INS after 9/11. The INS was not doing it's job before 9/11, was way too lax in allowing applications and lacking follow-up. Once less stringent attitudes of the INS became apparent (by the number of overstayers and those who should never have even been granted a visa), a closer watch over the INS was and has been long overdue. Half of the rules or checkpoints of the INS were never followed, and far too many immigrants, both legal and illegal, were left to roam the country as freely as any citizen. Finally, America's sovereignty was and has been trampled, even though only by a selfish few million too many illegal aliens slowing down the system.

Comment

Spouse, the waiver application process is a real pain in the butt.......the Embassy will probably contact your husband again and again....make sure though that they will have all the supporting documentation you've been able to gather in their hands, even though that'd mean you appearing in person down there.......Good Luck To You Two!

Comment

quick question (with a huge thanks for all the replies up 'til now)....

Do you think that going down there would really make a difference? Do you think I could actually submit all of the paperwork if I were there?

Thanks so much for replying, your existance means so much to me!!! You are all the most wonderful people, being alone in this is horrible, and even though most of the respondents are anonymous, your replies mean SOOOOO much to me. I can't imagine trying to get through this without your help and support!

THANK YOU!!

Comment

I called INS this morning, and nothing makes any sense (still). What a surprise (sarcasm in voice). But now they are telling me that it will be processed in the USA, rather than in my husband's country as originally thought - so I guess that going down there won't do any good.

Comment

ok. I called the US embassy in Ecuador. They seem to be relatively cometent there, at least they were able to answer my questions in a way that sounded remotely accurate.

It appears that the I-212 will eventually be sent to the States.

The I-601 will remain in Ecuador or will be sent to Guadalarjara in Mexico.

The fingerprints were most likely taken in error, and or they managed to lose the results of the original fingerprinting and these fingerprints will be run again. At least we didn't pay again.

Now, my only concern is how to have my argument and documentation included with the waiver. It appears that the INS in Ecuador simply did not want too many papers, so they do not have the entire argument, and they only have evidence of about half of the hardship I am claiming. They wouldn't accept more information, but it is all relevant information. I will try to let you all know what I end up doing.

If you have any opinions or suggestions, they would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

cometent was supposed to read competent.

Comment

To Spouse:
                          First of all I would like to tell you that when the case is sent to NVC, the role of INS finishes. NVC is an agency of Department of State. Your husband has appeared in the Embassy not before INS. INS has nothing to do now unless the case is sent back to them, which is very unlikely.
                          If you want a letter from the Senator then you will have to go to his office personally with all documents of this petition, to get that letter.
                          When you communicate with Embassy it is better to send them email instead of calling them on phone. They will respond to you by email and that will a record for you.
                          You can send all documents which you want them to look in via email to them. Even supporting documents of Waiver can be sent it to them now via email.
                          As you have mentioned that you need another month for your studies, it will be better to start correspondence via email now and by the time you will finish your studies, you will have all papers in your hand and can go to your husband's country to persue this case personally.
                          You can find their email address by visiting webside of State Department.
                          God bless you and solve your problems soon.

Comment

Hi Umesh, thanks for your insightful response. I do believe that we were dealing directly with the INS (in fact when I called the embassy I asked to speak to the INS division and was appropriately transferred). According to them the documents will go to the INS in Guayaquil before they are actually send to the respective destinations.

The idea of using e-mail is a very good one, although inconducive to actual conversation. However, for the sake of documentation, I will attempt to use this method (if I receive a response in this way) for any future contact. You are right, paper trails are very important.

Finally, just to let you know where this has been left. We contacted our senator's office. They offered to help, by receiving and directly mailing from their office copies of our applications along with a letter requesting that they be reviewed in their entirity. They have also offered to actually receive correspondance from Ecuador.

We will see how much of this is true... so far it sounds very postive, and if it all pans out this way, I know who I will be voting for for the next 500 years!!!!!

Anyway, I am a lot calmer and feel like we might still have a chance at an adequate review. (but I am sure I will be writing again with another small crisis in a couple of months!)

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLIES, SUGGESTIONS, AND SUPPORT!!!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation