Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can you change the "basis" of your naturalization application?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    to "do-not-worry": thank you for the website I'll check it out!

to uscitezen: I have heard that from several people that during interview the officer was suddenly askind for tax returns or old speeding tickets. I understood, that the "burden of proof" is on you and that officers often ask for weird things to endanger the progress of the naturalization. Official INS statistics show that denial rates are ca. 60%

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Let me tell you something, the INS don't care if you worked lot or not at all, but they don't want you to get food stamps and welfare, but if you are out of work and your husband was supporting you and filing for taxes together for the last 5 years, that counts as a record even though you didnt work. but never mind all this. All you need is 3 years of taxes and the income you made doesn't matter, what matters is that you filed your taxes by yourself or joint. Also, if you weren't working, that means you didn't make any income, and by law if you made $800 or less"I think $800 or $600" you don't suppose to file, and the INS will understand that. you can go to the website below.

www.IRS.GOV and look for toll free number where you can ask for questions or ask for them to send you the record of the past 3 years or 5 years. good luck

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    who is asking for the tax records? I completed my interview last OCt and nothing like that was ever mnetioned.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    thank you for your reply. Yes, I crossed "5 years" on my application (but I hear that you've got to prove your tax returns for the past 5 yrs. (since applying for your N-400). Only if you based your N-400 on marriage, then 3 yrs. tax returns will be sufficient (that was my understanding). Because I saw someone else's post that was saying that INS officer wanted to see 97...

I hear that people get the weirdest questions or that the officer wants to see old speeding ticket paid-fine-stubs etc. In any case... I guess I'm just worrying to much.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm not sure if I udnerstand you well.
    You have been married to a USC for 10 years, which means you have a GC for at least 3 years"you stated 5yr" in this case, you have no problems at all. you are fine.

for your taxes, you need to call the IRS, and they will send you your last 3 years of taxes you filled, it doesn't take much time to receive it.

for your husband's birth certificate: he is able to get a copy from a government office in downtown. All he needs is his social security, passport, or driver licence.

you don't have to worry much since you are able to get all this papers in a short time.

Since you have applied based on 5 years, then, you don't even need to show them your husband's birth certificate, but you can have a copy of his passport with you in any case. good luck

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    during the interview?

What I mean is following: I see people that say it's been difficult to prove some of the things asked during the naturalization interview (such as taxes paid, birth certificate of U.S. husband or wife).

Is it possible to change the basis of your naturalization application then during the interview?

I have difficulty finding the exact joined tax-return from 97 for instance (but I have other proofs that we always paid our taxes), and one of the older tax returns from 98 states an address that I was using for mails (during a move). I just noticed that yesterday (gulp). This address therefor doesn't show in my list of addresses that I lived for the past 10 yrs. or what the question in the N-400 was asking about. I'm a bit concerned about that.

i had applied based on 5 yrs. LPR status, even though I've been an LPR and married with an U.S. citizen for 10+ yrs. The only thing that was missing was the birth cert of my husband, and that was the reason why I didn't base my application on that. And knowing that the application can take years and who knows what's going to happen in 2-3 yrs.?

Positive and construcktive feedback appreciated!

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic can you change the "basis" of your naturalization application?

can you change the "basis" of your naturalization application?

during the interview?

What I mean is following: I see people that say it's been difficult to prove some of the things asked during the naturalization interview (such as taxes paid, birth certificate of U.S. husband or wife).

Is it possible to change the basis of your naturalization application then during the interview?

I have difficulty finding the exact joined tax-return from 97 for instance (but I have other proofs that we always paid our taxes), and one of the older tax returns from 98 states an address that I was using for mails (during a move). I just noticed that yesterday (gulp). This address therefor doesn't show in my list of addresses that I lived for the past 10 yrs. or what the question in the N-400 was asking about. I'm a bit concerned about that.

i had applied based on 5 yrs. LPR status, even though I've been an LPR and married with an U.S. citizen for 10+ yrs. The only thing that was missing was the birth cert of my husband, and that was the reason why I didn't base my application on that. And knowing that the application can take years and who knows what's going to happen in 2-3 yrs.?

Positive and construcktive feedback appreciated!
Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation

Attorney2Attorney