Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration today vs immigration of the 1900's

I am doing a paper for college on what people who immigrated years ago went through compared to what immigrant today go through to come to the United States.

Any help would be appreciated. I would also like any websites you may recommend.

Thank you

I am doing a paper for college on what people who immigrated years ago went through compared to what immigrant today go through to come to the United States.

Any help would be appreciated. I would also like any websites you may recommend.

Thank you

Comment

I believe that immigration as a whole was easier in the 19th century, anybody (white) coming was technically very welcomed by officials (even though that may not be true to the reaction from the population) and that there were no lawfull protection from discriminations etc.

Today's immigrants are put into so many hurdles, because the assumption is that every immigrant is a criminal or has fraudulent intentions untill proven three fold otherwise... Naturalization denials are at a height of 60+ %

Judging from your last name (Baran), I'd assume (wrongly perhaps) that you may be of Eastern European/Turkish descent. That group of immigrants had certainly had their unfair share of hard times then, but in the States they were finally safe. Todays immigrants have hard times in their "native" lands and even harder ones when they arrive at the shores of the New World...

As you can see from some of the posts, some of the richtest people in the world are afraid and jelous to share the most simplest commodities with their fellow earth citizens

Comment

That last poster must have had to fill out a few extra papers or something. And like most immigrants today is whining that they can't just waltz in and start with a high paying job ,like they feel they are "entitled" to. Even though they probably have a second grade education and don't speak the language. This one certainly doesn't know history. He is right about the no discrimination laws though. When an immigrant gets in today they are better off than a poor American. They have jobs and loans set aside just for them. They have a hundred and one "immigrant rights" groups just waiting to file a lawsuit against the US government on their behalf.There are another million groups waiting to show them how to shake down the poor taxpaying Americans for everything they can get.That's how "today's" immigrant has it. They cry if they can't bring all 500 of their "closest" family members right behind them' The Chinese were exploited terribly when they first came here. They built our railroads and were treated like trash. Yet the Asian today does better than most immigrants in this country. They are smarter, harder working and are not letting past problems deter them. THEY do not require bi-linguial everything. Even though they come here not speaking the language. THEY LEARN IT ON THEIR OWN. That has a lot to do with their success. The Irish (of which I am one) also faced hardship when we first arrived. We were reviled as Catholics and faced "no Irish need apply" signs wherever we searched for employment. Yet we pulled up our bootstraps and now run the police depts. and half the politics in the Northwest. No, I think todays immigrants only travel accross a border looking for a little better paycheck and money to send "home". They are not interested in making THIS country better as were the former groups. They are just looking out for themselves and therir families "back home"

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation