X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOHAN! B2 to H1B

Hi,
    I came on B2 Nov, 4 2002 and now waiting for H1B to be approved (my employer requested premius processing)
    First question is can I actually change my status being in USA from B2 to H1B? Or there is something I should know about it?
    I would really appriciate if you could answer me this as well - can I travel abroad and back to USA being on H1B? Will I need to apply for any other documents abroad (visa or etc..), so I can be back to USA? As I was planing to go back to my country and also my work would incude lot's of traveling.
    Thank you very much in advance!

P.S. And what is this "H1B stamping" is???

Hi,
    I came on B2 Nov, 4 2002 and now waiting for H1B to be approved (my employer requested premius processing)
    First question is can I actually change my status being in USA from B2 to H1B? Or there is something I should know about it?
    I would really appriciate if you could answer me this as well - can I travel abroad and back to USA being on H1B? Will I need to apply for any other documents abroad (visa or etc..), so I can be back to USA? As I was planing to go back to my country and also my work would incude lot's of traveling.
    Thank you very much in advance!

P.S. And what is this "H1B stamping" is???

Comment

yes, you can change from B-2 to H-1B in the US. The INS sends an approval notice which gives you permission to stay and work. If you leave the US, however, you will need to go to a US Embassy/Consulate and get a H-1B visa "stamped" into your passport (that's H-1B stamping) before you return. (the Approval Notice gives you permission to be in the US, but it doesn't give you permission to enter the US. That's what the visa's for.)

Comment

As suggested above by Patti, you can change your stutus. Only thing you have to be careful to remain in legal status till your H-1B is approved. If your B-2 stay is going to expire in a near future then you must apply for its extension.
        Good luck.

Comment

Thank's a lot for answering...

So, does it mean that I might not get my H1B stamped?? And I won't be able to come back into USA?
          Is it the same with student visa? I mean if I change my status from B2 to F1? Do I need to stamp it or something as well?

Thank you very much!

Comment

After approval you can stay here but if you want to travel then you will need visa stamp on your passport.
            Good luck.

Comment

TO UMESH PASSI:

thank you for your answers!

do you know by chance what are the chances to get it stamped or not stamped?

does it make any difference that i am benificiary for I130 (my mother (USC) applied for me when i arrived here on B2)?
              as it takes years and years i would really prefer to have it stamped and have ability to travel. as my work requests it as well.

appreciate your answers!

Comment

anybody knows??

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources