Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to be legal again !!!!!

Hi Please help me.. I have overstayed my J1 visa for a year but i would like to go to school and get a degree and job here. How can i become legal again ? r there anyway ?

Hi Please help me.. I have overstayed my J1 visa for a year but i would like to go to school and get a degree and job here. How can i become legal again ? r there anyway ?

Comment

why did you decide to be illegal? why didn't you obey the terms of the J1 visa? why not go back to whatever country you came from and apply for a visa? let me guess - you know that you will be barred for perhaps 3 years or so...and that law you don't want to obey, so instead, you are hoping for some other law that you do want to obey....what is wrong with obeying our laws in the first place?????????? And please, don't tell us that this is all INS's fault or some other baloney.

Comment

fiona, its very hard to simply switch your expired J1 onto a student visa. The premise here is that your visa already expired and there really is nothing much you can do to. There is the "quick and easy" way to fix it by marrying a USC, but I won't bother going there since it looks like you're genuinely wanting to legitimize yourself in an honest way.

Since you're on J1, find out what stipulations you have to fulfill, ex. 2 yr. residency requirement. If you have this residency requirement, you'll have to apply for a waiver.

On that note, you should start looking into schools and ask them questions of what can be done in you situation and how they may help. I've had friends in similar situations and their schools have been very helpful (keep in mind this is pre 9/11).

Good luck. Oh yeah, if you're really scared and don't know what to do, consult a competent immigration attorney.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation