Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    A greencard holder can leave the U.S. for up to 2 years with permission from the INS or 12 months without, without abandoning the greencard.

You can only apply for citizenship if you have not abandoned your residence in the U.S. for a period of 3 years (if married to a U.S. citizen) prior to filing. This means you should not be out of the U.S. for more than 180 days at a time. (the rule is different if you work for a U.S. company).

You still have to apply for removal of the conditional status on time and prove you entered a genuine marriage on time.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I would not leave the U.S. for more than three months without first obtaining a reentry permit. If you leave for more than three months without such a permit, you may be deemed to have abandoned your LPR status. Then, you will have to start the whole process over from the beginning.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I currently hold conditional permament resident status and I am thinking about leaving the US to go back to my home country UK. I have heard that I can leave for 8 months and I was wondering that if I came back to the US within the 8 months and left again would this jepordise my chances of getting citizenship.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Green Card

Green Card

I currently hold conditional permament resident status and I am thinking about leaving the US to go back to my home country UK. I have heard that I can leave for 8 months and I was wondering that if I came back to the US within the 8 months and left again would this jepordise my chances of getting citizenship.
Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation

Attorney2Attorney