Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSN Question

If some one was working with a made up SSN, how do you let the SSA know that you now have an authorized SSN. I know the employer will get a letter from SSA saying the # is not valid. What is the procedure to clear up the issue and report the tax and new number? We are talking about 7 months of work.

If some one was working with a made up SSN, how do you let the SSA know that you now have an authorized SSN. I know the employer will get a letter from SSA saying the # is not valid. What is the procedure to clear up the issue and report the tax and new number? We are talking about 7 months of work.

Comment

Congratulations on getting your legal SSN.

I had one employee with a similar case. He presented a fraudulent "Green Card" and SSN card when applying for this job two years ago. In March 2002 he told me that his legal process had been finalized and approved by the INS and then he gave me his legal documents to be copied and filed properly. I was very surprised by his account - his documents looked unquestionable. I don't know if the INS has any information regarding his previous fake documentation or about working without INS authorization. I entered his new information in the payroll normally. The Social Security Administration sent me a letter on April 2002 with a list of four employees whose SSN did not match the SSA's data bank - three of them had been previously discharged; the fourth one is the above mentioned workman. The recommended procedure was to check with listed employees whether their information (last name and SSN) was accurate, and then start filing correctly after correction. Nothing else. On June 2002, this employee quit his job. Last January, I filed his two W-2s to the IRS. Even though this employee's full name and mailing address are the same in his "old" and "new" SSN, he told me recently that he has received no communication from SSA or IRS or INS regarding different SSNs. I don't know if the IRS is going to do anything about this case.

Comment

Thats a good question... you might have too many different answers...

i do have friends who are illegal, working with a FAKE SSN and even a fake GC

some employers check that out, some other dont...and others dont even care as long as they can get cheap labor

I've read some of the letters SSA and EMPLOYERS have sent to them on TAX TIME

In the letter they is no sign or advice about a FAKE SSN... the only thing they CAN prove is that your SSN and your NAME do not MATCH while is beeing process for tax return/filling.

Some of my friends has been working like that for over 5yrs... so i dont think they go any further.

Now, since you got a good SSN now, i dont think you should worry about that, but its always good to get advice from an expert.

Good Luck !

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed