X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    FROM http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/ho...doc.htm#permit

Reentry Permit: Lawful permanent residents or conditional permanent residents who wish to remain outside the United States for more than one year, but less than two, require a reentry permit. A reentry permit is not required for a trip that is shorter than one year. (You should note that an absence of more than one year will break the period of continuous residence required to become a citizen, even if a reentry permit is issued.) A Reentry Permit is also issued to Lawful Permanent Residents who want to travel outside the United States, but cannot get a national passport from their country of nationality. A reentry permit is valid for two years.

FROM http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/ho...oc.htm#reentry

Reentry Permits and Refugee Travel Documents: Applications for a reentry permit or refugee travel document should be sent with the supporting documentation and fees to the Nebraska Service Center. If you think you may have to leave the United States before the reentry permit is received, you may have it sent to a U.S. Consulate or INS office overseas for pick up. There is a place on the Form I-131 to furnish the information necessary to receive the reentry permit outside of the United States. However, even though you may receive the reentry permit overseas, the application must be submitted while you are still in the United States.

FROM http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/se...ency/index.htm

Admission into the U.S. is not guaranteed. In all cases, the alien is still subject to INS inspection at the port of entry to determine whether the alien is admissible into the country.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    SOMEDAY....you say the re entry gives you up to 2 years out of country yet you contradict by saying that you can't stay out for 2 years????What do you mean ?
    Also on the form it says ....where do you want the permit to be sent, giving you 3 options
    none of which include your home address in states.
    Can you just overwrite their options and put in your own?????? thanks.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    You need to be physically present here in the US, sign the I-131 form and mail it to the INS. Then you can leave the country, assuming that when the Re-entry permit arrives at your US mailing address somebody could forward it to you overseas.

Spending time abroad for 6-12 month is not a problem. You really do not need a re-entry permit to come back. Staying abroad for over 1 year jeopardizes your return, because INS could say that you have abandoned your permanent resident status.

Re-entry permit is valid for a period of two years. It DOES NOT, hovever, allow you to stay overseas for two years.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    are you saying that it could take over a year to get an answer from them as to whether or not you can stay out of US. I plan on staying for apprx 18 months due to family commitments

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    JUST FYI:

One GC-holder from NYC suburbs submitted the I-131 (re-entry permit) to Lincoln, NE back in August 2002. The latest INS on-line update says:

"Your I131 APPLICATION FOR INS TRAVEL DOCUMENT was received on August xx, 2002. We mailed you a receipt with information about processing. It is taking between 235 and 265 days for us to process this kind of case. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete."

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    How long were you planning to be gone?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    almost anything is a good excuse, family, school, fix finances, travel with spouse, etc. as long as it's legit, you won't have any problems.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I am a new GC holder living in US and need to apply for a re entry permit to go back to the UK for family problems... my question is........what is the best and most accepted reason given to the authourities to get one granted and also ..how long do they take to come through?. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic re entry permit

re entry permit

I am a new GC holder living in US and need to apply for a re entry permit to go back to the UK for family problems... my question is........what is the best and most accepted reason given to the authourities to get one granted and also ..how long do they take to come through?. Thank you.
Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation

Attorney2Attorney