Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend Married to USC

One of my friend who is on F1 visa, still leagel got married to USC last month. In order to adjust his status what should he do. Can he travel back how during AOS process, what will he has to do. Please advise. Thank you.

One of my friend who is on F1 visa, still leagel got married to USC last month. In order to adjust his status what should he do. Can he travel back how during AOS process, what will he has to do. Please advise. Thank you.

Comment

He has to submit all related documents. About travelling, I am not very sure. But if he still using his F1 for travel, he might able to, but if he is using his AOS, then he need to get Advance Parole. This one you have to get further info. But for the forms, they are:-

I-130
      I-485
      G-325A
      I-693 (medical)
      I-864

Additional:

I-765 (if he want to work with EAD)
      I-131 (Advance Parole, for travelling while AOS pending)

Also check the fees involved and do not forget to submit Fingerprint fee for $50.00.

Good luck.

Comment

Me2:

Thank you for your guidance. Is it a good idea to hira an attorney for this process?

Comment

Well if your friend done nothing wrong like criminal or what...he should be fine just by filing by himself. Furthermore having an attorney is not a guarantee that it will be okay. If your friend want to hire a lawyer, make sure that his or her lawyer know what they do.

Lots of ppl doing it by themselves. Unless if he is not confident and don't know how to fill in paperworks then he need one . But its fairly simple, just be careful when fill in the forms and make sure to supply all the documents or attachments they need and your friend will be okay. I'm not a lawyer, pls act accordingly.

Comment

When you hire a lawyer you can choose to have that lawyer be your representative, or only to help you gateher and prepare all the paperwork. I fthere are no difficult issues in this case (problems showing relationship with spouse, prior crimes, prior periods out-of-status) then he probably does not *need* a lawyer to be his representative. However sometimes people feel more comfortabel having that liason. Keep in mind that a easy case costs less to use an attorney. An alternative would be to have an attorney merely prepare the paperwork, or look over it for you. Do *not* use illegal notarios or unauthorized agents- they do not keep up with the laws, and there is no way to know how well infromed they are. But most people prepare their own forms and do more or less OK. People who do their own forms much more frequently receive a Request For more Evidence, which slows down the process. Avoid this by writint a concise, clear, and convincing cover letter, and enclosing all needed evidence, and as much supporting evidence as you can. Ask a friend to review evidence for convincing-ness. And help them by putting little tabs with labels at the bottom of each section of evidence.

About re-entering: If he has an approved advance parole while his AOS is pending- OK. But entering again under the F-1 could be risky. It is a non-immigrant visa, and they are likely to deny him entry at the POE.

As to the forms- Chack your local offices rules as to where to file (local office or service center) and whether to submit medical now or at interview.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation