2 year anniversary and condtional GC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lawful permanent resident is given the privilege of living and working in the United States permanently. Your permanent residence status will be conditional if it is based on a marriage that was less than two years old on the day you were given permanent residence. You are given conditional resident status on the day you are lawfully admitted to the United States on an immigrant visa or receive adjustment of status. Your permanent resident status is conditional, because you must prove that you did not get married to evade the immigration laws of the United States.

You and your spouse must apply together to remove the conditions on your residence. You should apply during the 90 days before your second anniversary as a conditional resident. The expiration date on your alien registration card (commonly know as green card) is also the date of your second anniversary as a conditional resident. If you do not apply to remove the conditions in time, you could lose your conditional resident status and be removed from the country.
    http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm

Comment

Hey, guy. I just talked to my lawyer. She said that if you married to a USC, you will always get a conditional green card. There is no such thing that you will get the permanent one. Only who married to a GC holder will get the permanent green card at there first interview because their processing time is 4-5 years. Can anybody confirm this information for me?

Comment

You can search all through this forum and others and I think you'll find the same answers that are posted here. If two years go by before interview it's a gc with no conditions. Comments anyone?

Comment

If alien is married to a US citizen and they have been married 2 years by the time of the AOS interview then the alien will be granted a 10-yr card (no conditional status).

Still Learning is correct. thuyanh's lawyer is dead wrong about always getting a conditional green card if one marries a USC.

Comment

Quoting myself:

<josephine schmo>

posted June 21, 2003 04:26 PM

A lawful permanent resident is given the privilege of living and working in the United States permanently. Your permanent residence status will be conditional if it is based on a marriage that was less than two years old on the day you were given permanent residence. You are given conditional resident status on the day you are lawfully admitted to the United States on an immigrant visa or receive adjustment of status. Your permanent resident status is conditional, because you must prove that you did not get married to evade the immigration laws of the United States.

You and your spouse must apply together to remove the conditions on your residence. You should apply during the 90 days before your second anniversary as a conditional resident. The expiration date on your alien registration card (commonly know as green card) is also the date of your second anniversary as a conditional resident. If you do not apply to remove the conditions in time, you could lose your conditional resident status and be removed from the country.

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm
            Formerly Josephine Schmo

Comment

Hey guys, I went to the interview today and got approved in 10 minutes. It was good. The officer just asked me to give her the copy of all the forms like Bank statement, bills, taxes. She looked at it to make sure that both of our name were on there. She asked us 3 questions about how did we meet, when did we marry, what did we do for the annivesary. And I got approved a permanent GA. She stamped my password and told me my GC will be sent to me on the mail. That was great. Now I can go to see my family.

Comment

Congratulations on your approval. Welcome to the club.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation