Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I apply for Extension for an I-751?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I apply for Extension for an I-751?

Has anyone had experience with having to apply for an extension with their I-751 (Remove conditions on a GC) application. I filed my I-751 almost a year ago and received a notice stating that my rights to travel and work had been extended for one year. Now that year is almost up and I am not sure what I need to do and where I need to do it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or provide some insight into this?

Thanks!

Has anyone had experience with having to apply for an extension with their I-751 (Remove conditions on a GC) application. I filed my I-751 almost a year ago and received a notice stating that my rights to travel and work had been extended for one year. Now that year is almost up and I am not sure what I need to do and where I need to do it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or provide some insight into this?

Thanks!

Comment

Go to the local INS and get an extension for another year. BTW, this should not prevent you from filing for USCitizenship if you are eligible to apply after 3 years of residency( married to USC if he/she has been a citizen for 3 years prior to marriage.)

Comment

Thanks,

Do you know if I need to bring a bunch of updated documentation to support the application, or do I just go down there with the usual stuff (passport, Receipts, copy of stuff I sent with the application)? Any idea if there is another Fee involved?

I appreciate your answer but I am just trying to make sure I have everything I need and don't want to waste a day standing in line...

Comment

Go early in the morning. Take some cash and your check book with you. I do not believe that any fee is involved. Take your current GC, Passport, any a copy of all the paperwork submitted to the INS.

You do not need a lawyer. Good Luck

PS Go as early as you can!

Comment

I certainly know about the 'Go Early' part. Here (NJ) you need to start standing in line BEFORE 5:00am if you want to get in...

Comment

Go on Priceline, get a hotel room in Newark area and be there at 4AM and beat the crowds!

BTW, I am not trying to be funny, unfortunately that is the reality of the INS district offices.

Comment

Guest?
                Which documents did you submit? How long before you got the extension from date of filing?
                Did you mail everything to VSC?
                Sammy

Comment

Sammy,

I filed all the same kind of stuff I filed with the marriage based GC application. Things like:

- Utility Bills, bank information, birth certificates, passports, Proof of status, joint credit card statements, mortgage papers, and so on. Basically everything I could think of to show that we live at the same address, that we share at least some finances, that she is a USC, and that I am in status. Basically the I-751 form indicates the kind of stuff they are looking for. I did not file any affidavites from anyone.
                  EVERYTHING goes with the application to your regional service center (VSC in my case). I filed the application and received the receipt (that has the extension on it) in 2 weeks.

Try the website www.skyweb.net/~rlls/intro/cpr.html for more details...

To PRESIDENT: I know you are not kidding but on the serious side, I have tried showing up at 4:00am and there is usually about 20 people already in line. I have found that by waiting until 5:00 or 5:30 only about 10 or so more people have shown up. So in my humble opinion, 5:00 or 5:30 is usually sufficient at Newark. That being said, if you wait until 6:00 or 7:00 forget it! The chances of you getting in the door are slim to none.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation