Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorced in another country and getting married in US

I am divorced in my home country (UK) and am marrying a US citizen. I am wondering if I need declare my divorce status to the INS and provide papers that I am divorced. Since living in US over 3 years, I have always declared myself as Single status. If I put single on any applications will the INS background check in my home country?

Thanks.

I am divorced in my home country (UK) and am marrying a US citizen. I am wondering if I need declare my divorce status to the INS and provide papers that I am divorced. Since living in US over 3 years, I have always declared myself as Single status. If I put single on any applications will the INS background check in my home country?

Thanks.

Comment

do not risk your application by lying to the INS, just because it was in another country, doesn't mean you don't have to report it correctly. You will need the documentation of your divorce to file with your papers. You may have been single, after you were divorced, but now, you are married to a usc, so you must put that. if I understood your post correctly. Why would you want to hide that anyway? It doesn't hurt your application

Comment

Well if you are divorced, of course you are single now LOL.

Yes you need a proof that all previous marriages have been terminated if you apply as a spouse of a USC.

Comment

INS doesnt care if you were married before, as long as you can prove that you are divorced now.

I dont know why you wanna lie about something that is not even gonna be a problem if you tell the truth...are you tired of being happy?

Comment

I came here to start a new life. I have never told anyone of my previous marriage since it happened so long ago and was so short (8 years ago and lasted a couple of months).

My wife to be does not know this (!)

Comment

Ok, let me ask you this. If I file my divorce papers to the INS. When the interviews are done, will my previous marriage be brought up?

Alternatively, If my company sponsor me for my Green Card and I therefore do not require sponsorship from my spouse - in other words, I obtain my GC before I get married, will no further checks be made because I already hold my GC?

Comment

jj23--
                well it is probably time you told your wife, if it isn't a big deal, then no problem. But seriously, you risk your application by not filling it out correctly. As previous posters said, you were single, so that was fine on other documents, but for AOS, you have to note if you've been married before and include copies of the divorce. Like those before said, it isn't a big deal. many people have divorces, the INS just needs to know that the marriage was legally terminated, so that the one you are in now is valid.

The bigger issue to me is, telling your wife. Best to be upfront now, you don't want to begin your lives with a lie together.

Comment

As long as your previous marriage didn't involve a previous petition to the US, I don't see why they would bring it up, especially as it was so long ago. However, if what you are asking is if in the interview they will ask if you were married previously, yes.
                  They will want to see copies of the original divorce decree, it won't go further than that, but certainly your wife will know because she will be sitting there.

I don't personally know if on a work-sponsored greencard they ask if you were married before, but a family-based petition is better I think. But check with others on this board.

Still, I don't see what the big deal is. Are you hiding something? I don't mean to sound accusatory, it's just seems like such a small thing to worry about. Unless there's we don't know the whole story...

Comment

ok, lets say thats not an option right now. What if:

I get my GC through company sponorship and not through getting married. In that application to INS I provide divorce paperwork. When it comes to getting married to my new wife, do I still have to provide divorce paperwork?

Comment

Yes.

When you get your marriage license, you have to declare if you have been married before and show the papers. If you do not correctly take this step, the marriage license may be invalid, and you won't really be married. So I think you will have to tell your fiancee regardless.

Comment

Tell your future wife about the previous marriage, whats the big deal?

If you dont do so, first the INS could deport you for lying and second your future wife is gonna know one way or another and might get pissed because you lied...is that what you want?

Some people are really tired of being happy...

Comment

No nothing to hide. Rather I came here and didn't like being labelled "divorced" at the time when making friends I just never brought my history up and, quite frankly, I've never been asked. I've never been asked if I was married and therefore didn't bother telling people. Three years down the line it's hard to just come out with it as I'm sure it'll be quite a shock. I have nothing to hide, in my mind I am single and don't see it being a big deal. Other people of course wouldn't see it that way. So as you can see, I'm in a bit of a dilema. Of course the right thing to do would be to come clean, it's not a secret and to me it was something I did a long time ago when I was young. It's just I put off telling people for so long it's hard to just tell all right now.

Comment

Before you get married again, first tell your wife about it...and second make sure that your previous divorce is valid for the INS or you are going to have some serious problems!

Comment

Of course, that would be the right thing to do.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation