Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marrying a green card holder

Currently im a student, but my visa expired a yr ago. I came in to US with a student visa. I did not go to change my visa status because i was afraid of being deported.I'm engaged to a green card holder and we plan to get married soon.
    Is it true that after our marriage and we start changing my status that i will have to go out of the country for upto 4 years?
    Basically, how does the process work?

I will really appreciate answers.
    Thanks.

Currently im a student, but my visa expired a yr ago. I came in to US with a student visa. I did not go to change my visa status because i was afraid of being deported.I'm engaged to a green card holder and we plan to get married soon.
    Is it true that after our marriage and we start changing my status that i will have to go out of the country for upto 4 years?
    Basically, how does the process work?

I will really appreciate answers.
    Thanks.

Comment

Help please anyone...

Comment

check your I-20, when it expiers, You can drop the classes, and
        you can go back to school. You will be straight.

Comment

Hi!-

It seems to me that you have been "out-of-status" (expired for MORE THAN a year. That means that if you were to leave the country you would be subject to a 10 year bar (per the 1996 law). If you had been out-of-status for 6 - 12 months, you would only have needed to wait out-of-country for 3 years). You are right that after filing for residency you will be considered as having an immigrant intent, and you will not be approved for non-immigrant visas, such as to study or visit. Furthermore, until your fiance becomes a citizen, the waiting time for a visa to become available would be 8-12 years. (Once the spouse naturalizes then the case can be upgraded). Of course- you never know how immigration laws will change in the future. The 10 year bars have not even been in effect for 10 years yet. And they are pretty draconian in my opinion.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation