Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-1 waiver filling for I-485

I am a physician who came on J-1 visa. Currently I am on H1b status doing my third year of J-1 waiver in underserved area. I have had I-140 approved (labor certificate based, not NIW) and I filled for I-485 with TSC in September of 2002. I was told that I could file
    I-485 before completing my J-1 waiver requirement (being 3 years on H1b status in underserved area). A few weeks ago I learned that INS started to implement a new policy and for the last 6 months they are refusing I-485 if it has been filled before completing 3 year in H1B status. My question: Is this true? How can the rule be changed in the middle of processing? They accepted I-485 application (in September of 2002) and after 3+ years of waiting for I-485 how can they refuse the application, long after finishing waiver requirement? Please, kindly advise what are my options. Thanks.

I am a physician who came on J-1 visa. Currently I am on H1b status doing my third year of J-1 waiver in underserved area. I have had I-140 approved (labor certificate based, not NIW) and I filled for I-485 with TSC in September of 2002. I was told that I could file
    I-485 before completing my J-1 waiver requirement (being 3 years on H1b status in underserved area). A few weeks ago I learned that INS started to implement a new policy and for the last 6 months they are refusing I-485 if it has been filled before completing 3 year in H1B status. My question: Is this true? How can the rule be changed in the middle of processing? They accepted I-485 application (in September of 2002) and after 3+ years of waiting for I-485 how can they refuse the application, long after finishing waiver requirement? Please, kindly advise what are my options. Thanks.

Comment

Your best bet is doing consular processing. Much faster and more predictable. More expensive due to travel though (but think about years of being underpaid in HPSA).

That's what I did, and couldn't be happier

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed