Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-131 Travel Document; Acceptable Circumstances

I was wondering what circumstances typically result in a successful application for I-131.

I have filed I485 in 2002 and would like to leave the US for 3weeks to go to a family wedding.

I've read that these applications can be denied and I didn't want to pay for plane fares if this was never going to work.

Thanks for your help

(also how long does typical approval take??)

I was wondering what circumstances typically result in a successful application for I-131.

I have filed I485 in 2002 and would like to leave the US for 3weeks to go to a family wedding.

I've read that these applications can be denied and I didn't want to pay for plane fares if this was never going to work.

Thanks for your help

(also how long does typical approval take??)

Comment

As far as I know, those things are routinely approved. I had to file for one twice within last two years and i never had a problem. It takes some 6 weeks to get one - although it could be much longer now. Include a written justification why you want to go abroad (having close relatives abroad works - or at least used to work - fine) and tell them on the application that you want to leave US multiple times. This gives you freedom to go on additional vacation or business trips abroad without asking INS for permission. Also, having advance parole is extremely valuable in emergency situations as those immigrants whose relatives passed away or got seriously ill can attest. Good luck!

Comment

The Advance Parole Document, I-131, is the advance permission that an applicant for an Adjustment of Status must obtain before leaving the U.S. If the document is not obtained, you will be deemed to have abandoned your adjustment application and will need to refile.

Approval of an I-131 is taking about four months at the NSC and TSC. It is taking about three months at the VSC and about two months at the CSC. The approval rate for applicants for adjustment of status is very good, so there is not much to worry about.

Most attorneys obtain this as part of the AOS package and it is normally issued for a year and must be renewed annually.

If you need assistance or more information, please feel free to contact me at info@myronmorales.com.

Comment

Thankyou very much for the replys.

Regarding the expected date of departure, I'm assuming it's not a problem if I leave on another day if my circumstances change? Surely so if you can leave multiple times on the one travel document?

I appreciate your help and putting up with all the filth that people are talking about on this site to help people like me.

Comment

"I appreciate your help and putting up with all the filth that people are talking about on this site to help people like me."

Well put, happy!

Comment

mmorales:

Does CSC(California Service Center) and the Los Angeles Immigration office are in sink to send out the I-131 documents. You mentioned earlier that the processing time from CSC is around 2 months.

Thanks.

Comment

No, they are working on different schedules. CSC is currently processing cases received on or before 08/07/02, while LA District Office claims to be processing cases within 28 to 42 days. There is some wishful thinking on the part of the LA office as most persons are reporting a wait of three to four months.

Sometimes, if you have a genuine emergency, you can apply for AP in person at the office and get the document issued the same day. The definition of an emergency is very narrow. So, unless there is a serious illness rendering a family member near death, I would not try it.

Comment

mmorales:

Thanks for your respond. I have already submitted my AP and recieved the recipt on 11/26/02 from Los Angeles office. So, is the wait still three to four months? Is there anything that I can do to expedite the process? What documents INS require for family emergencies.

Comment

GC HOLDER APPLY FOR I-131 REENTRY PERMIT
                    FOLLOWING IS APPLICABLE TO THEM ,IF THEY LEAVE USA AFTER APPLYING I-131 AND BEOFRE RECEIVNG REENTRY PERMIT
                    (before leaving the U.S. If the document is not obtained, you will be deemed to have abandoned your adjustment application and will need to refile.)

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation