X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I choose to become an illegal alien

I choose to become an illegal alien.

I am a Small Business owner. I have been a small business owner for over 20 years by virtue of an "E" Investor visa issued by the U.S. Department of State. My business, for so many years, has helped create jobs for Americans, both directly and indirectly. Many of my company's customers depend on our products to keep their companies alive. Yet, inspite of spending so much money on immigration lawyers over the years,, I have been unable to secure permanent residence for myself, my spouse, or my children. Hundreds and hundreds of letters to members of Congress (in almost every state) have practically gone unnoticed and have produced no positive result. Yet,
    I never fail to see how members of Congress continue to propose immigration reform for only the undocumented - those who are illegal. Nothing wrong with that. But it seems that members of Congress don't give a **** about those of us who have followed the letter of the law from the very beginning, and yet have been unable to secure permanent residence due merely to some idiotic technicality in the law - where the type of E visa that my incompetent AMERICAN and U.S.-educated lawyer chose is not convertible to Permanent Residence. Members of Congress obviously don't give a
    **** about those of us who are temporarily legal and who actually contribute to this nation's economy. Members of Congress obviously don't care if we, who are "temporarily" legal, help create jobs for Americans, since, unfortunately, we are not "undocumented" - we are not illegal.

Because children of investors AUTOMATICALLY lose legal status at the age of 21, my daughter became undocumented and illegal recently. After being "temporarily" legal, for over 20 years, now my daughter is finally illegal and undocumented, and finally has a chance of becoming permanently legal.

My investor visa is up for renewal. But I have made a decision to forego the renewal. I know that if should renew my visa and continue to stay legal, I will never ever have a chance at permanent residence for myself and the members of my immediate family. BUT should I forego the renewal of my visa, and finally become "undocumented and illegal", then I know that my wife, my son, and I, like our daughter, will at least have finally given ourselves a fighting chance of becoming permanent
    residents after more than 20 years of "following the letter of the law". I have decided to forego being "temporarily" legal so I and the members of my immediate family can first become illegal to finally become permanently legal. Stupid at it may seem, it is obviously the only hope we have.

Sincerely,

E. O.
    Charlotte, NC

I choose to become an illegal alien.

I am a Small Business owner. I have been a small business owner for over 20 years by virtue of an "E" Investor visa issued by the U.S. Department of State. My business, for so many years, has helped create jobs for Americans, both directly and indirectly. Many of my company's customers depend on our products to keep their companies alive. Yet, inspite of spending so much money on immigration lawyers over the years,, I have been unable to secure permanent residence for myself, my spouse, or my children. Hundreds and hundreds of letters to members of Congress (in almost every state) have practically gone unnoticed and have produced no positive result. Yet,
    I never fail to see how members of Congress continue to propose immigration reform for only the undocumented - those who are illegal. Nothing wrong with that. But it seems that members of Congress don't give a **** about those of us who have followed the letter of the law from the very beginning, and yet have been unable to secure permanent residence due merely to some idiotic technicality in the law - where the type of E visa that my incompetent AMERICAN and U.S.-educated lawyer chose is not convertible to Permanent Residence. Members of Congress obviously don't give a
    **** about those of us who are temporarily legal and who actually contribute to this nation's economy. Members of Congress obviously don't care if we, who are "temporarily" legal, help create jobs for Americans, since, unfortunately, we are not "undocumented" - we are not illegal.

Because children of investors AUTOMATICALLY lose legal status at the age of 21, my daughter became undocumented and illegal recently. After being "temporarily" legal, for over 20 years, now my daughter is finally illegal and undocumented, and finally has a chance of becoming permanently legal.

My investor visa is up for renewal. But I have made a decision to forego the renewal. I know that if should renew my visa and continue to stay legal, I will never ever have a chance at permanent residence for myself and the members of my immediate family. BUT should I forego the renewal of my visa, and finally become "undocumented and illegal", then I know that my wife, my son, and I, like our daughter, will at least have finally given ourselves a fighting chance of becoming permanent
    residents after more than 20 years of "following the letter of the law". I have decided to forego being "temporarily" legal so I and the members of my immediate family can first become illegal to finally become permanently legal. Stupid at it may seem, it is obviously the only hope we have.

Sincerely,

E. O.
    Charlotte, NC

Comment

what if the proposed legislation from bush on immigration doesnt pass congress? dealing with immigration is frustrating but i wouldnt forego anything without making sure this law is passed.

Comment

Yeah, it sure is foolish to abandon legal status and place your hope on something that's not even debated in congress yet.

I'm not familiar with the E Visa. But isn't there a possibility to initiate employment based AOS based on the 5th category?

Comment

VeryFrustrated,
          I understand and share your frustration. I now realize that I am but one of very many who seem to have been "punished" for trying to "go by the book".

Comment

Very Frustrated,
            I am also one of those who are trying their best to stay legal, and decided that it is a waste of time and money. I've been paying lawyers and all kinds of fees and still haven't received any answers.
            Going through all this I can understand why aliens are staying illegal in the USA.

Comment

Good going..

know what the end result is:

You going illegal, means INS will now make a notation of E visa holders violating their status.

Meaning, the NEXT guy going for an E visa will encounter even harder scrutiny.

So next week -- we're going to get a thread from some poor schmuck who's whining that his E visa was denied, cuz they're cracking down and really tough at the interview, etc.

Going illegal doesn't make laws EASIER, it only TOUGHENS them.

The only reason you had a tough time adjusting is because MILLIONS before you broke the law.

USCIS are humans and people too. When aliens go illegal, or commit crimes, or violate their visas -- trust me, it *does* piss them off. Cuz somewhere along the chain, someone in the agency *does* get blamed for it. Be it an adjudicator, a POE officer, a US consulato director, etc. Trust me on this one.

-= nav =-

Comment

Debman, aliens are staying illegal because thier only alternative is going home, and if they do that, they will be barred for 10 years from ever coming back. The US government has not enforced its immigration laws for too long and now there is a HUGE illegal alien problem. The problem can't be ignored any longer, so they are searching for a solution that would be economically feasible.
                I understand why you are frustrated. I would feel the same way in your situation. However, you can be thankful that you were able to obtain a visa in the first place. Some of the people who most desperately need to immigrate to the United States are those who have few or no options for obtaining a visa. Mexicans, for example, are not eligible to participate in the green card lottery. It is difficult for unskilled laborers to obtain a visa. I know that there is still "no excuse for violating the law," but laws are easier to obey if they favor people from your particular country or economic status. A rich German or Japanese, for example, who has plenty of $ to invest in our economy can very easily get permission to come here. A poor Mexican with no USC relatives and no education who earns $4000.00 a year is not going to be able to get a visa very easily.

If you have done everything legally, than good for you. You deserve a pat on the back. The beauty of mercy and grace is that if you haven't done everything right, than you will be forgiven. Anybody who loves Jesus Christ knows that forgiveness is the ultimate gift of love that one can give. It is easy to love those who love you back. It is easy to reward those who have followed the rules. It takes strength and character to sacrifice your pride and have mercy on your enemies. If you can really forgive someone who has done wrong by you and be at peace with them, than it is the most wonderful thing that you can do, not only for the person you forgave, but for yourself. It is hard for human beings to forgive, but it is not impossible if we ask for God's help.
                Have a nice day

Comment

Gluhbirne--Mexicans are not allowed to participate in the green card lottery because it is the country sending the most legal immigrants to the United States already, and has been for years. Family-based immigration, you know. If you want to blame anything, then blame a system that allows the "family reunification" of extended families (brothers and sisters and their families, parents), rather than just spouse and minor children, based on nothing more than a "family" relationship.

But you can bet that a lot of the people on this site want to be able to bring every last one of their relatives. An Indian woman (and her husband and her son) I know was sponsored by her doctor brother. Neither she nor her husband had any particular skills, though she did have a master's degree in Indian history. Both were working unskilled part-time jobs in an area of the country where unemployment was over 11 percent (mid 1990s). It took over 10 years to bring them, and by then the brother was hundreds of miles away from them, somewhere in the south. Some "reunfication"! They never would have qualified based on "skills" or even knowledge of English (I met her tutoring her in English).

Comment

VeryFrustrated,
                    Isn't "E" visa a non-immigrant visa? If you are not planing on going back to your country, does that mean you cooked up the documents to get the E visa? Hence, fraud on your part!

Comment

Isn't "E" visa a non-immigrant visa? If you are not planing on going back to your country, does that mean you cooked up the documents to get the E visa? Hence, fraud on your part!

A bit too jumpy on the trigger aren't we? If thats the case than all the L1 visa, F1 visa, etc who change status in the US is guilty of fraud also???
                      He might come here on E visa and change his mind and decides to stay in the US. As long as its done the legal way, people shouldn't have problem with it.

Comment

Glubirne,
                        I totally agree with you, but that is why there are so many illegals here. They know what a person is going through trying to stay legal. I know a lot of people who decided not to even try, after they walked with me through this whole scenario.
                        I also understand why it is easier for someone with a lot of money to get a visa,cause that means more money for the USA.
                        Unfortunately I am not in that category,and that is the main reason I have to go through all of this to stay here.
                        Just like you, I also believe in Jesus and that He is the one to judge us on our mistakes.
                        I also believe in abiding laws, but by abiding the laws of this country I have put myself into more debt than ever in my life, just to stay here.
                        I don't have anything against illegal or legal aliens. I just hope that there would be a way that all of us can live together legally in this country.
                        America is proud (and quick) to say that this is the country of freedom and I'd like to believe that. But I would like for them to show more people the freedom that they are speaking off.
                        I don't really understand why you talk to me about forgiveness... Did I say something to make you think I need that?

Comment

Hi VeryFrustrated,

I feel for you.... I don't have much info on E visa but I m sure you can get green card through this...if I m not wrong ...though I don't know much so double check this .... There is some kinda condition that you have to show your business for some years and then you can get permanent green card.... Are we missing something here.... Are there any other reasons that you cant get a GC ?

As far as your children go...they came here with inspection so if they marry USC in future...probably there shouldn't be a problem for them to adjust their status ... as lot of people overstay their visa here...marry USC if they fall in love...and get their AOS done...

Wish u all the best...Pasha

Comment

Here is the info taken from BCIS website

...Become a Permanent Resident Based on Investment
                            In order to become a lawful permanent resident, eligible investors must file a CIS Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions. Form I-829 must be filed within 90 days before the second anniversary of an Alien Investor's admission to the United States as a conditional resident.
                            For a description of the requirements for removal of conditions, see 8 C.F.R. § 216.6.
                            So if u are here for 20 yrs(????????????) you should be able to get PR a while ago....Plz give us more details if so...

Here is link ...

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/r...investment.htm

Comment

Someone12 ...

E visa is immigrant visa ... they are classified under Lawful Permanent Residency on BCIS website ....and u can adjust your status through this visa....

This link is for you ....

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/residency/index.htm

Have a nice day...Pasha

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed