Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't renew the Driver's license?

hi! i am here sine last five years, i don't have a legel status . i went to DMV, NY to renew my license which was issued five years ago. they are not renewing it saying that i need a social security card. and i don't have one. so, they tell me to go to social security office and get a letter but my visa is expired. i don't know what to do. please any suggestions. i still need to drive to work.why they need a freak'n social secrity card. this is insane...please help!

hi! i am here sine last five years, i don't have a legel status . i went to DMV, NY to renew my license which was issued five years ago. they are not renewing it saying that i need a social security card. and i don't have one. so, they tell me to go to social security office and get a letter but my visa is expired. i don't know what to do. please any suggestions. i still need to drive to work.why they need a freak'n social secrity card. this is insane...please help!

Comment

For you it is insane for the DMV that is a law and they have to act accordingly. You are illegal here and driving vehicle, if some accident happens who will be responsible for that? You are thinking about yourself and your convenience, what about others. You should know that whenever you will be arrested for any vehicle offence then you will be deported.

Comment

Probably due to more stringet immigration laws recently, the DMV finally decided to enforce some of the check that they should have done to begin with.
        Can you get a TIN# and use that instead of the SS#? I would be more inclined to legalize your status first though.

Comment

A TIN won't work - the card is stamped and states that it is for tax purposes only (the ones I've seen are), and a TIN does not indicate employment or residence eligibility. The laws have had to change to prevent undocumented people from obtaining identification without INS approval & knowledge. US citizens have to present their birth certificates now just to get a license because of the identity theft and fraud that is occurring. I agree with the guest user above - you are better off to legalize your status, and then these kinds of things won't trouble you any more.

Comment

maybe you can get international dr. l. from your country?

Comment

How dare NY make it difficult for people that have overstayed their Visa. Its not like anyone would use a drivers license to board a plane and do something bad.

Comment

I am a USC, born and raised here in the US.

I recently got married. I went to Social Security to change my name. They confiscated my old card but gave me a letter saying new card would be mailed.

I took this letter with my Driver's License and Birth Certificate to transfer the DL over to the state I just moved to.

Without the Social Security card, FORGET ABOUT IT!
                I could not tranfer the DL without the SS card.

Comment

Another person whining about the consequences that come with ignoring and breaking the laws. How surprising.

Comment

Are u a jackass?

Comment

Yes, it is true. Many states, including NY, VA, NC and others have initiated new procedures that require a valid social security number in order to obtain or renew a driver's license. As to the TIN, some states allow a TIN for driver's licenses. However, if you cannot *legally* obtain a SSN, I would suggest that you start relying on public transportation. You could get in a lot of trouble driving with an expired license and it's a risk not worth taking.

Comment

But even if you have a valid SSN, doesn't the State DMV still require proof of legal stay - like a birth certificate if you are a USC, or INS documents if you are not? I am confused. For example, I have a valid SSN, but am appealing my overstay with the INS, can I get a DL in New York State?

Comment

Per my previous post, I was glad that I couldn't transfer my DL w/o SS card. There is too much identity theft going on. A funny thing though, in the same state, you can get ANYONE'S Birth Certificate just knowing their name and DOB and paying the fee. Just go to the window pick it up. I just picked up my friends BC this way. In my birth state, you have to have all docs, family history, notorized request, etc, and can only get it by mail, and not at all if using a PO Box. Just doesn't make sense.

Comment

There are some states, like VA, where a SSN is required for DL trabsactions for the first time. If you do have a SSN and do not want to use itm they can provide a DL number other than the SSN. Your residency status is normally checked the first time when you apply. If you did not originally have a SSN, but they issued a DL with a DL number generated by DMV, when you renew they ask for SS card. I have hear of individuals in VA who were able to renew by obtaining a letter from SS Admin that said they were not elegible to get one. Then, the DMV generated a number for them. I am not sure that this is the case in NY, but you can ask around.

If you do not get your DL renewed, I suggest you get an International Drivers License AND a drivers license from your country for the time being.

It is unfortunate that so many people have to go through this now. Eventually this will only cause People to drive without DL or insurance and it will turn out to be a bigger problem for others. Lets face it, illegal immigrants will not stiop driving because tehy do not have a DL, nor will they leave the country because of it.

Comment

I agree with you completely. They are not going anywhere.

What has driving got to do with immigration? If the government is so concerned about terrorists getting a license they can start issuing Naional Identity Cards. That will solve the problem. In this country it is impossible to live without a car. If everyone gets a license and insurance we will all be safer on the road.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation