Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VISA (I-94) for Canadian residents

I am canadian resident and got visa from USA consulate at Toronto few days ago. Last weekend when i was travelling to USA at the border they gave me I-94 and stamped my passport for 6 months and told me return my I-94 to a canadian post when i leave USA. But my questions are:

1. Since I am here only for weekend, do i have to turn in my I-94 when i leave (tomorrow) or when it expires in 6 months?

2. If i have to turn in my I-94 when i leave (tomorrow), and plan to travel soon (next month) or frequently in the future. Do i have to get I-94 every time i cross the border?

Thanks

Yes, the I-94 must be returned, especially if you are making frequent trips. Frequent trips are a red flag, but the I-94 will serve as proof that you intend to leave the U.S. once your business, etc. is concluded.

Yes, get an I-94 everytime. The length of time on the I-94 is irrelevant once you leave.

info@myronmorales.com

Comment

to morales or anybody else!

i went to usa (as a canadian resident) and came back in a week even though i have 3 mos I-94, and I did not return my I-94 while coming back, because i am going back again in 1 month and i thought they told me to turn it (I-94) in when it expires and get another one if needed. now from your respose to the Sonia's questions above, i am totally confused. any suggestion about what should i do?

thanks

Comment

can any body help me with this? please!

thanks

Comment

i don't understand what you don't understand??
          I-94 is given to you when you entry the county and should be returned when you leave it!
          I-94 is not a visa! which you keep till it is expires!
          I-94 is an entry document!

Comment

where one should return their I-94 when they are coming back (to Canada thru border)? To the Candadin post or have to stop by at american post?

thanks

Comment

You have to be very careful about accepting advise from this forum especially from persons that do not have first hand experience.

In answer to your question about the I-94:

- You don't have to get a new I-94 every time
              you enter the USA. How do I know ?, because
              I've being traveling to the USA for the past
              4.5 years and using the same I-94 until its
              expiry date. In fact the INS officer told me
              that I did not have to turn in the I-94 if I
              intent to enter the USA prior to the expiry
              date.

- To return the I-94 you can give it to the
              Canadian Customs Officer or you can mail it
              to the INS at Mississauga, Ontario via
              register mail. How do I know ?, because I
              done both.

Good Luck

Comment

Thank you Toronto007. You are absolutley right. Lot of people in this forum don't have the real experience. I thought the the INS officer told me the same thing when they issued me I-94.

But i have another question, which is, if my I-94 expeires, can i renew it in the local INS office? or i must come back to toronto and get anoether one at the border while travelling back? How flexible are they (at the border) about issuing another I-94?

If you don't mind you can write me these thru my email: jabool@hotmail.com
                That way i can ask you if needed to know any thing else regarding travelling to USA. Seems you have very good experience about it.

Thanks again

Comment

Hi Sonia,

I cannot give you any advise on renewing a I-94 at a local INS office since I've never done it myself, I can only tell you what I've experienced; however, I've read somewhere that you able to do so.

However, I do know that you do not need a new
                  I-94 everytime you visit, provided it is valid. With respect to flexibility, I've never experienced any difficulty in having another I-94 issued to me. Besides, if you are admitted to enter then one will be issued in almost all cases. Regarding returning to Canada before the
                  I-94 expires, that would be the wise thing to do.

Another suggestion is that you could enter the USA just before the I-94 expires, for example I would enter when my I-94 will be valid for less than the duration of my stay, in that way you will have one issued to you again, since the expiring I-94 proves that you did not overstay on it and it looks good on your intention.

One more thing, someone mentioned that frequent trips raises a red flag, DON'T BELIEVE IT. I know cause I travel to the USA alot and often, infact the INS did not issued me a I-94 in over 1 year since they have all my information on file.

Good Luck

Comment

Thank you Toronto007. You are a very nice person.

Comment

Sonia, let me **** ya, c u n t!

Comment

Sonia, let me F U C K ya, c u n t!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board