Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawful permanent residency/divorce

Hi, I am in a very bad situation right now and I could use some help with what to expect from the INS in the future. I have been here for 3 years, married to an american. I have had temporary permanent residency and got a note in the mail from the INS about 1 month ago, which said that I had been approved for lawful permanent residency, and that I had to go down the the INS office to get my card. However as it happens my husband left me 2 weeks ago out of the blue and wants a divorce. My question is will I get my permanent residency even if I am divorced and if I get the card before the divorce is final, can they revoke it? I just cashed out a house and I have a decent chunk of money in the bank, full time job and paying taxes, so I am pretty settled here. Would they see me as a person which would "use" their money/system? Might I add as well, I am a Norwegian citizen. Please if someone could give me some answers on what to expect from the INS, and if I should prepare to leave the country, It would be very appreciated. Thank you

Hi, I am in a very bad situation right now and I could use some help with what to expect from the INS in the future. I have been here for 3 years, married to an american. I have had temporary permanent residency and got a note in the mail from the INS about 1 month ago, which said that I had been approved for lawful permanent residency, and that I had to go down the the INS office to get my card. However as it happens my husband left me 2 weeks ago out of the blue and wants a divorce. My question is will I get my permanent residency even if I am divorced and if I get the card before the divorce is final, can they revoke it? I just cashed out a house and I have a decent chunk of money in the bank, full time job and paying taxes, so I am pretty settled here. Would they see me as a person which would "use" their money/system? Might I add as well, I am a Norwegian citizen. Please if someone could give me some answers on what to expect from the INS, and if I should prepare to leave the country, It would be very appreciated. Thank you

Comment

To Loons:
      I am sorry to hear this.
      From your post, what I understood is that you had Conditional Green Card and then you applied for Removal of Conditions and now Immigration has asked you to go and pick up your GC from their office. If it is true, then there is no problem.
      On the other hand, if this is not the position then in case your husband files for divorce then you should contest it to buy some time. Then you should go ahead with your Immigration process as a battered woman.
      Good luck.

Comment

Yes I have been approved for lawful permanent residency. What it says in the letter is that I have been approved and to come down to the Immigration office with 3 pictures and my passport. It also says that it can take up to 6 months for me to recieve the card in the mail, and that I need a stamp in my passport if I want to travel outside the US within that time limit. I dont know if this means that my application is all done and that the 6 months is just lagging mail time from the INS, or if they need to go thru my application again. I would assume it would be the first, since it says I have already been approved. The divorce will take at least 3 months, that is if I dont contest it, but I will if I need to to buy some time. Thank you so much for you help, any other input would also be appreciated. I feel like im living my life on borrowed time here and that I cant go on and make plans for it, as I'm worried they'll send me out any day

Comment

To Loons:
          Congratulations. When they have asked you to go to their office with three pictures, that means that you have been approved for Permanent GC. If they have not given you a particular date, then you should go to Immigration asap. There they will take your Index Finger print and stamp your Passport for GC. It usually takes about 3 - 6 months to receive original GC in mail. You know that you can apply for Citizenship 90 days before 3rd anniversary of your AOS i.e. the date when you were stamped for Conditional GC.
          One thing you must keep in mind that never agree for annulment of marriage, it has to be dissolution of marriage.
          Good luck.

Comment

Thank you so much, i feel so much better now

Comment

I have a question. Don't all conditional gc holders have to go for an interview with or without spouse before getting approval?
              Did the ins officer tell you in your first interview if you would have a 2nd interview?

Comment

You have to be married for two years to get condition removed. If you already married for two years then you can apply for removal of condition. remember that once the divorce is filed ,there will not be any counting towards the two years.
                you have to file asap if two years are went by.talk to a good attorney, you can affort that.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation