Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• us soldiers in iraq seek immigration help

in Chicago Tribune newspaper today there is a story of 2 US soldiers in Iraq who converted to Islam and got married to Iraqi women. They are seeking help to bring their wives to US.

in Chicago Tribune newspaper today there is a story of 2 US soldiers in Iraq who converted to Islam and got married to Iraqi women. They are seeking help to bring their wives to US.

Comment

If they're legally married (which I highly doubt is possible at this time), they would file and sponsor their spouses just like anyone else.

Comment

Ok what is the point? They had to convert to islam in order to get married to iraqi women? Can I see the link to the article in Chicago Tribune?
        SEMPER VIPER / Army Strong!

Comment

To Bushmaster,
          I just thought that it was an interesting story. Sorry, I do not have the internet link of the story. I read it in the "paper" newspaper while eating burger at McDonald.
          By the way, the 2 soldiers were from Florida.
          Rajoo

Comment

2 soldiers defy orders, marry Baghdad women

By Larry Kaplow
            Cox News Service
            Published August 28, 2003

BAGHDAD -- In the months since the fall of Baghdad, two U.S. servicemen and two Iraqi women fell in love and decided to marry.

They won each other's hearts and minds but battled against disapproving senior American officers and fears of retribution from militant Iraqis.

When they finally held their double wedding ceremony last week, the nuptials took on the secrecy and synchronization of a commando operation.

The two brides, one in a print dress, the other in slacks, and a few family members came to a city street corner at mid-morning. From there, an Iraqi intermediary led them to the route of their fiances' foot patrol.

The grooms marched up in their regular Army uniforms, wearing bulletproof vests and carrying M-16 rifles. Finally, a nervous Iraqi judge arrived separately, coaxed from his courthouse to complete the ceremony. The group ducked into a grassy courtyard where the vows commenced.

The couples met after the Iraqi women, both English-speaking physicians, took jobs working with the Americans. The Iraqi women and American soldiers could flirt and visit. But as friendships deepened into romance, U.S. officers considered the relationships a security problem. The guardsmen were prohibited from "fraternization" during "combat."

Nevertheless, a couple of weeks before the ceremony, the soldiers, National Guardsmen from Florida, converted to Islam in an Iraqi court. Finally, with an American reporter watching, it took less than a half-hour in the morning sun to hear the judge's recitations of the vows. The two couples exchanged rings, signed the paperwork and were married.

The weddings illustrate the gray areas of the U.S.-Iraqi relationship in this city, where troops are liberators and occupiers, where the United States hopes to win over most Iraqis while still fighting others.

The marriage-on-patrol was necessary because superior officers were trying to block it.

"We are accomplishing a mission on the street and protecting our forces. We cannot develop relationships with the locals unless they are mission-related," Capt. Jack McClellan, a spokesman for the Florida Army National Guard, said in Baghdad.

"If it's true love, in a few months, when we mobilize, they can pursue it," he said. "They are not allowed to see them."

Yet Sgt. Sean Blackwell, 27, and Cpl. Brett Dagen, 37, were determined.

"I've done two years overseas on active duty and I never thought this would happen," Blackwell said. "I love her."

Now, he is trying to figure out how to bring his wife to the Pensacola area where they plan to hold another larger wedding.

Blackwell is trying to gather information on the visa process and said he's not worried about telling the world about his marriage. "I am confident that it will be a very welcomed story back home," he wrote. "I feel the American public needs a story about something good that happened over here."

Copyright © 2003, Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...,7414676.story

Comment

thank you josephine !!
              rajoo

Comment

yw!

Comment

Interesting story. Though I can imagine that the service men will get in "a bit" of trouble for deying the orders.

Courtship is to be expected, happened in every war/conflict and interaction between people. It's good to see that it can happen with a happy end in a war zone.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation