Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gay immigrants

are you waiting for the PPIA to pass , just like me ??
    don't u think it is so unfair that because of who we love we cannot get our spouses to be legal, like any other heterosexual couples ?
    please let me know that i am not the only one, just knowing that you are out there helps ...
    thank u.

are you waiting for the PPIA to pass , just like me ??
    don't u think it is so unfair that because of who we love we cannot get our spouses to be legal, like any other heterosexual couples ?
    please let me know that i am not the only one, just knowing that you are out there helps ...
    thank u.

Comment

I love my children (who are Americans), and I still don't have all my papers yet.

Obviously the INS don't care that I love my children and don't want to be away from them, or they wouln't take that long to approve my GC. After all, they were approving the terrorist visas - why can't I be that lucky?

By the way, I am not gay, but I feel for you.

Comment

thank u, hope the best for u too

Comment

nadler is the one that proposed the bill.
          the last time was for valentine's days 2001.
          we have good chances to win, it is actually been sponsored by 104 reps.
          we are all waiting for it...
          good luck.

Comment

thank you, that is positive :-))))))))

Comment

it obviously isn't easy to see the end of all that, even if you are straight..........
              keep smiling.......

Comment

and keep praying....... for it to pass.
                anyway thank you to MR NADLER for his comon sense.

Comment

The United States has historically represented a safe place for refugees fleeing political and religious persecution. But the government only recently enlarged its welcome mat to give protection to some gays and lesbians. In 1994, after Attorney General Janet Reno made a precedent out of a case involving a gay Cuban man, gays and lesbians were added to the category of "membership in a particular social group" "” one of 4 possible reasons for persecution that could be grounds for political asylum (nationality, race, and religion are the others).

According to the law, applicants must demonstrate a "well-founded fear of persecution based on past persecution or risk of persecution in the future" based on their sexual orientation if they were to return to their country. Applicants have 1 year from the time they enter the country to file their claim.

Despite this new openness, gay and lesbian asylum seekers still may face a double standard when their cases are heard, according to Suzanne Goldberg, senior staff attorney at Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund, a national gay and lesbian civil rights group that handles and provides assistance in a large number of asylum cases. "In Lambda cases and in cases we advise, there have been a number of denials where applicants would have been granted asylum if they were fleeing on grounds other than sexual orientation," Goldberg says. She cites one example of a Russian lesbian who was denied asylum despite being able to prove that in her home country she faced the threat of psychiatric institutionalization because of her homosexuality.

Gays and lesbians face similar persecution in many parts of the world, but the largest number of those seeking asylum are from Central and South America, Asia, and the Middle East. Human rights violations against gay and lesbian people are very widespread. Twelve countries in the world call for the execution of people convicted of same-sex sexual relationships. People making claims do not have to show that they have suffered violence or harassment themselves. They could have a well-founded fear based on what happened to another gay man in their country. But they do have to collect proof of human rights violations against gay people in their country.

Several national organizations have coalesced around assisting gay and lesbian asylum seekers. The Lesbian and Gay Immigration Rights Task Force, based in New York City, with half a dozen city chapters elsewhere, has created a network of activists, attorneys, and asylum seekers who help educate people on the law and assist them in preparing their claims. In 1997 the organization jointly produced with the Chicago human rights organization Heartland Alliance a 179-page handbook designed to give asylum seekers and their advocates step-by-step instructions in building their cases.

Protection for gays and lesbians under immigration law is so new that many foreigners, whether they're in the country illegally or have come out while they were studying in the United States, may not even be aware that asylum options exist. It is estimated that since 1994, only 1,000–2,000 claims have been made. But because those cases are confidential, it's impossible to know how many people have been granted asylum.

Individual cases can be slow to build; you have people who basically have fled their country and don't trust authority figures to begin with - if a client is afraid of persecution based on his/ her sexual orientation, they are to be advised and educated about the process here and that [they] should presume that they're going to get a fair hearing.

Comment

http://www.buddybuddy.com/toc.html

Comment

"Marriage-Minded GWM/GAM couple
                      (1 American, 1 foreign),
                      seeks lesbian couple (1 American, 1 foreign)
                      for marriages of mutual interests."

Classified Ad, The Washington Blade
                      --------------------------------------------------

"European/American lesbian couple
                      seeking foreign/American gay male couple
                      for mutually beneficial arrangement.
                      Must be willing to move to New York."

Classified Ad, San Francisco Bay Times

--------------------------------------------------

Advertisements like those above appear every week in gay and lesbian newspapers all across the country. For many binational gay and lesbian couples, arranging mutually beneficial "sham" marriages is a last desperate attempt to make a life together in America. Even though the consequences can be severe if they are caught, current American immigration law often leaves binational same-sex couples feeling that they have no other option. Under the family reunification provisions of the immigration laws, gay and lesbian Americans in relationships with foreign nationals have no legal way to bring their partners into the United States. The foreign partner would have to qualify independently, usually by demonstrating some special skill that is needed by employers in the United States. This is very difficult to do, as many people lack the specific skills sought by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). Even if they possess these skills, they would still be subjected to the strict quota limits on legal immigration. U.S. immigration law would also tear apart a foreign same-sex couple if one of them were to get a job in the United States. Under current law, the spouse of a married heterosexual person would be permitted into the country, but the partner of a gay man or lesbian would have to be left behind.

Some gay and lesbian Americans have chosen to relocate with their partners to a more welcoming country-often Canada. Bruce MacDonald and Suratin "Jeng" Rianpracha are one such couple. MacDonald says:

"I'm upset and angry that I have to leave my country to live with the man I love. This experience has alienated me from the U.S. political system. On the other hand, every individual American I know has been very supportive. My straight friends and colleagues are incredibly upset. I think the vast majority of people in this country are way ahead of the politicians on this issue."

Today the United States is the only industrialized English-speaking country that does not grant same-sex partners immigration preferences. Legalizing same-sex marriages in the United States would eliminate the immigration hurdle facing binational same-sex couples, but there are other mechanisms through which this goal could be achieved. Indeed, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United Kingdom now all recognize the immigration rights of same-sex couples, yet none of those countries recognize same-sex marriage. The United States should not stand alone among the industrialized English-speaking world in continuing this discriminatory practice against gay and lesbian families. Congress should require the INS to establish a registry for same-sex couples so they may immigrate together as a family. As examples of how this might work, Congress could look to the policies enacted by the countries discussed in this Note, or to the domestic partner ordinances enacted in numerous municipalities throughout the United States, or to the framework established by some state courts.

Comment

hey bordetella, do you know a little more about the PPIA ?
                        like where is it standing now, do we have good chances for it to pass for the new year ?
                        Than you for your infos.

Comment

tb, shut the f*** up!

julie,

The Permanent Partners Immigration Act (PPIA) hich was reintroduced in the U.S. House in February 2001, would amend the Immigration & Nationality Act by replacing the term "spouse" in the federal law with the description "permanent partner." Proponents of the measure said this would guarantee that a non-citizen permanent partner might receive the same immigration benefits that a non-citizen spouse now receives.

Under the proposed Permanent Partners Immigration Act, which HRC officials said currently has 96 co-sponsors in the House, a person might qualify as the permanent partner of a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident if he or she is at least 18 and in an intimate relationship with the sponsoring adult U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident in which both parties intend a lifelong commitment. They also must be financially interdependent with the person, unmarried and not in a permanent partnership with anyone other than that person.

-Hopes dim after Sept. 11

John Vezina, a senior policy analyst at HRC and the gay political organization's chief lobbyist for the legislation, said the measure is not likely to be approved in the current congressional session.

"This is not the best time to be enlarging immigration law," Vezina said. "Since Sept. 11, it's been retracting...The country is very tense about immigration right now. Part of our task is to talk about 'fair-mindedness.'"

Roberta Friedman, an immigration lawyer who spoke at the meeting and later agreed to represent Sara and Iris as a pro bono case, agreed.

"After 9/11, there has been a change in [the regulation of] tourist [and] student visas, increased security clearances for Arab and Muslim men," she said, "and increased scrutiny at the border."

The bill's supporters currently are trying to get it introduced in the U.S. Senate, Vezina said. They hope to have a companion bill introduced in the Senate in the 108th Congress, which convenes in January.

As part of this effort, the Human Rights Campaign has sponsored town meetings similar to the one held here this week in New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Los Angeles. Similar meetings are scheduled next month in Houston and Seattle.

Elizabeth McGrail, an immigration attorney and board vice president for the Lesbian & Gay Immigration Rights Task Force, said the bill also could have a positive impact on efforts to help gays who are seeking asylum in the U.S. because they are being persecuted in other countries based on their sexual orientation.

Noemi Pérez, director of policy and public affairs at the National Latina/o Lesbian Gay Bisexual & Transgender Organization, agreed.

"The PPIA would be another way for our community members to leave places where they are being persecuted and come here," she said, noting that gay Latinos have mentioned problems in Ecuador and Venezuela

For More Information:
                          Lesbian & Gay Immigration Rights Task Force
                          350 W. 31st St., Suite 505
                          New York, N.Y. 10001
                          212-714-2904
                          www.lgirtf.org

Comment

thanks MTM

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily