Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overstayed F1 and other stories

I entered on a F1 visa to go to Grad school and after graduating left the US briefly and then returned believing my Visa (I-94?) was still valid. Of course it wasn't as I was no longer enrolled but nevertheless talked them into giving me a temporary 1 month F1 visa. I never enrolled and never returned and that was 7 years ago now. I've been living off stock trading (I have a SS card and #) and have been paying US taxes and not been working illegally. With the situation as it is I could stay here indefinitly but I would like to get it resolved.

What are my options, if any? From reading the boards here it would seem that an AOS thru marriage would be the best way.

I entered on a F1 visa to go to Grad school and after graduating left the US briefly and then returned believing my Visa (I-94?) was still valid. Of course it wasn't as I was no longer enrolled but nevertheless talked them into giving me a temporary 1 month F1 visa. I never enrolled and never returned and that was 7 years ago now. I've been living off stock trading (I have a SS card and #) and have been paying US taxes and not been working illegally. With the situation as it is I could stay here indefinitly but I would like to get it resolved.

What are my options, if any? From reading the boards here it would seem that an AOS thru marriage would be the best way.

Comment

Steve, you have been lucky when they allowed you to reenter, since they don't do it most of the time if your I-94 has expired (unless you travel to Canada or Mexico and your I-94 is still valid for at least another 30 days) So, given the fact that you have an SS# since the time you were enrolled in school, you could and can use it to work given the fact that nobody will go that far to see if that SS# is associated with a valid immigration status. At this point, your problem might only be that you cannot live forever like this; if you plan to enter into a convenience marriage think it through again - it might work out, but it may not. You have to have a big stomach buddy

Comment

I was very lucky that they gave me the temporary F1 - unusual for that to happen so I understand. Also my SS card doesn't have "Not for work purposes" written on it as I've been told it should. However I've never used it to get an off-campus job and now I don't really need to. I'm in a "steady state" situation now financially and it would seem legally too. I got a ticket while driving recently and I think the policeman ran my DL thru the system and nothing came up - some anxious moments. I can't leave the country of course but have no great urge or need to (parents deceased) even though I would probably be better off economically if I did. My concern is my precarious status within a country where I've spent the majority of my adult life and which I've called home for 12 years.

Comment

steve, how do you live off stock trading being illegaly in the U.S.? Are you a trader working for some brokerage firm? Or you sell stocks via the Internet, hence you are totally independent and you don't really need any employer to employ you?

Comment

I trade using the internet with my own cash so have no employer and in fact could do this from anywhere in the world. Not only that but as a non citizen or GC holder I would not pay any US capital gains (even on US holdings) if I was abroard. I would be liable for taxes in the country I was living but that's purely discretionary - no reporting. That's what I meant when I said I would be better off economically outside the US, the opposite of most immigrants I would say who move for money.

Now I come to think about it, what am I doing here?!

Comment

Yea, right, what r u doin' here?

Comment

Manivelle, please leave your nationalist insecurities at home.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation