Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landed in Canada and came back on landing papers... here on renewed H1B

My husband has been working in the US on a valid H1 with the same company for almost 5 years. About two years ago we had applied for immigration to Canada and gone and landed and then come back on our landing papers. However we had valid H1B and H4 approval notices for the next 3 years although we never had any visas stamped in our passports. We never went outside the continental US or Canada. My husband did have his passport renewed at the embassy in Canada because it was convenient compared to mailing it in to our embassy here and waiting for it in the mail. My question is, will any of this cause a problem when he goes in for special registration?

My husband has been working in the US on a valid H1 with the same company for almost 5 years. About two years ago we had applied for immigration to Canada and gone and landed and then come back on our landing papers. However we had valid H1B and H4 approval notices for the next 3 years although we never had any visas stamped in our passports. We never went outside the continental US or Canada. My husband did have his passport renewed at the embassy in Canada because it was convenient compared to mailing it in to our embassy here and waiting for it in the mail. My question is, will any of this cause a problem when he goes in for special registration?

Comment

anyone else here who has a similar case? I'm hoping nothing will happen... but still, if they want to give us trouble they can, and i just want to know how worried I should be.

Comment

Well my hubby went to the Dallas office... we live in the Texas Panhandle and drove here because we had a friend who went there and said everyone was very courteous here. Anyway, he waited a long time before his turn came. The lady asked him where his passport was made, and my husband answered "Canada" and she left it at that. Now since he's currently here on an H1B approval notice which is an extension/renewal of the previous H1, she wanted to know where his visa was, since this passport was blank (he'd never travelled on it). So he handed her his previous passport with the expired I-94. My husband noticed that a lot of them (INS officials) are not very familiar with the laws, and a lot of them were being trained at the same time. He also noticed that people on H1's who went in without a letter from their employer suffered greateer interrogation and stayed in longer than those who came with a letter. My husband was done with his whole interview in under 15 minutes. they stamped his old expired white I-94 card, and the I-94 form that came with his H1 approval notice. Although the INS lady did get agitated that he didn't give her information unless she asked for it, I would say that's the best way to go. Don't volunteer information. Let them ask for it. Also, When they ask you to show a credit card, some of those registering are of the opinion that they use that information to track your spending and think you should show them a card that you don't use too often, and that you can cut up afterwards and that you should avoid showing them your debit card. Personally, I think they can monitor your spending even if you don't give them a credit card number, so it's really up to the person going in what he wants to do. They detained 5 pakistani's at that office yesterday when my husband went. So that's how it went.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation