Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will INS confiscate my passport? Need help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will INS confiscate my passport? Need help!

I'm sorry for repeating some questions, but I need help!!!
    I've heard that at citizenship interviews applicants were videotaped by INS and their passports were taken away. INS needs passports for exit/entry checks (although it would be more reliable to trace GC electronically), so it doesn't make sense to take away foreign passports, but some members had that happen, and with the current national security situation, it could even be legal.
    I haven't left US after getting GC,my passport expired 2 years ago (will it be a problem at the interview??).
    And after INS takes a green card away, it takes some time to obtain a US passport. How could a person travel in case of emergency? Can I apply for a reentry permit even if I already have N-400 interview scheduled?
    Can I return on a naturalization certificate? Will my name be in the INS database, so they can check my SS and let me enter the country because legally I would be a USC?
    Any response is appreciated. Please share your N-400 interview experiences. Thanks.

I'm sorry for repeating some questions, but I need help!!!
    I've heard that at citizenship interviews applicants were videotaped by INS and their passports were taken away. INS needs passports for exit/entry checks (although it would be more reliable to trace GC electronically), so it doesn't make sense to take away foreign passports, but some members had that happen, and with the current national security situation, it could even be legal.
    I haven't left US after getting GC,my passport expired 2 years ago (will it be a problem at the interview??).
    And after INS takes a green card away, it takes some time to obtain a US passport. How could a person travel in case of emergency? Can I apply for a reentry permit even if I already have N-400 interview scheduled?
    Can I return on a naturalization certificate? Will my name be in the INS database, so they can check my SS and let me enter the country because legally I would be a USC?
    Any response is appreciated. Please share your N-400 interview experiences. Thanks.

Comment

I can't believe USCIS would have the guts to confiscate a foreign passport (not under their authority), unless they do so for those from countries for which double citizenship is not allowed (in other words, there are countries that do not allow their citizens to possess dual citizenship, but even this is not USCIS authority) or countries under a terrorist watch list (say, for instance, a passport from Afghanistan or Syria). With as many naturalizations as I've done, I have never heard about this.

It doesn't matter if your passport has expired. You are not required to renew your foreign passport if you have no reason to do so. At the naturalization interview, the most important document is the green card. The passport is used to see (a) stamps of entry in the U.S. (if any) and (b) your identity.

You can obtain a U.S. passport in as little as 2 weeks by paying an extra fee. In serious emergencies, you can even obtain one sooner. If you go to the local passport agency, they may provide you with more details. If you travel abroad, you cannot return to the U.S. by showing your naturalization certificate or your SSN. You cannot apply for a reentry permit. You will need a passport. In addition, many countries that allow dual citizenship require that you inform their Embassy in the U.S. of your acquiring U.S. citizenship within 90 days. If you wish to retain your original nationality, in that case you may want to renew your foreign passport and you can travel using that.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation