Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference in K1 and K3 and Immigrant Visa In packet info

Can some one please tell me what is the difference with K1 in packets sent from embassy to the person who is trying to get the visa. I mean there is one guy who said he got packet #4 and not Packet#3. So I wanted to know if you are applying for I-129 Fiance Visa which is K1 visa does that mean you do not get Packet #3 and you only get packet #4. And if you have applied for K3 Visa that means you get Packet #2 and then Packet #3 and if you apply for Immigrant Visa there are different packets. This is something that I have been trying to read up on and still have not got a clear answer. So if some one could please break down this info based on the 4 types of K Visa K1, K2, K3,K4 exactly each visa has how many packets. And if any one would know which packets are given with which visa at the US Embassy in Mumbai that woudl be better. But if any one knows in genreal that will be fine also. Thanks
    VPatel

P.S. I am hopeing this will not only help me but alot of other people in this form about this question.

Can some one please tell me what is the difference with K1 in packets sent from embassy to the person who is trying to get the visa. I mean there is one guy who said he got packet #4 and not Packet#3. So I wanted to know if you are applying for I-129 Fiance Visa which is K1 visa does that mean you do not get Packet #3 and you only get packet #4. And if you have applied for K3 Visa that means you get Packet #2 and then Packet #3 and if you apply for Immigrant Visa there are different packets. This is something that I have been trying to read up on and still have not got a clear answer. So if some one could please break down this info based on the 4 types of K Visa K1, K2, K3,K4 exactly each visa has how many packets. And if any one would know which packets are given with which visa at the US Embassy in Mumbai that woudl be better. But if any one knows in genreal that will be fine also. Thanks
    VPatel

P.S. I am hopeing this will not only help me but alot of other people in this form about this question.

Comment

Please help. I hope I can get some feedback on this. I just want to know for knowledge
      Thanks

Comment

Hi VPatel,

Ok, lots of people get confused about this.

Here is the short answer: Don't get too caught up in the numbering scheme. Its easier/better to think of it this way:

The "Packet III" is the first set of applications a prospective immigrant / k1 recipient / k3 recipient gets from the embassy.

The "Packet IV" is the second set of applications they receive, which is sent to them after they submit their applications to the embassy. The prospective immigrant / k1er / k3er usually takes Packet IV with them to the consulate when they go for their interview.

At any given embassy, Packets III and IV usually are basically the same no matter what immigration visa you are applying for (although this is a generalization, and not necessarilly true in every case). However, exactly what is in the Packet III or Packet IV can vary widely from embassy to embassy (the same as policies and procedures vary widely from embassy to embassy). I think that is why there is so much confusion about this; people who are working through the process at two different embassies start comparing notes, and when things don't match up, they get confused and/or worried.

A case in point is the gentlemen on the discussion board earlier this week (who I think you are referring to) who was concerned because he received "Packet IV" instead of "Packet III." I don't know whether or not he was correct (stranger things have happened, and it is not unheard of for an embassy to send out the wrong thing by mistake), but I think at some point someone responded that what he had received actually WAS the Packet III (i.e., the "first set" of applications) for that particular embassy. My guess is he probably got confused because he was comparing what he got with what other people had gotten from other embassies. When what he got did not match up to what he expected, he assumed that he had not gotten a proper "Packet III." The point here is that you need to focus on what your particular embassy requires and not worry about what other embassies are doing, or you will cause yourself a lot of needless stress and worry.

If you want to know what the embassy you are working with includes in "Packet III," you can either ask directly at the embassy or, better still, check out their website on-line. Most embassies have posted at least the Packet III forms they expect to see on their website. There is a link to all consulate websites available through the department of state website. I am pretty sure you know how to find this because you mention in another post you were researching some other embassies, but if you are not sure let me know and I will try to post the link for you. There is actually already a link to the DOS page that lists these on my website, if you go to the "Other Useful Links" page.

One word of caution: don't assume that what is posted on the Embassy website is necessarily completely up to date, or that the forms won't change before you get your real "Packet 3" from the embassy. Although getting the packet III on-line can help you get a jump on collecting the info and documents you will need at the consulate, always use and follow the forms and instructions that are actually sent to you by the appropriate embassy.

Good luck.

Alex Halow
        www.k1fianceevisas.com

Comment

I always thought Packet 4 was the just interview letter confirmation...the one you have to bring with you to the interview at the embassy. I don't remember there being other paperwork with my fiance's interview letter.

Comment

Lonely,

That may very well have been the case, but my whole point is that what goes into a Packet III and Packet IV varies widely from embassy to embassy (although it is usually fairly consistent for the different types of visas within the context of that particular embassy). What was in your fiancee's "Packet IV" has no direct bearing on what is in a "Packet IV" issued by another embassy. In fact, because policies and procedures change all the time, it may not even be relevant for someone going through the same process at the same embassy today.

That is why I am suggesting that it is better to think of "Packet III" as the "first set" of applications and the "Packet IV" as the "second set" of applications (or if you prefer, I guess you could simply consider it to be the embassy's response to the Packet III you submitted, which in your case consisted simply of the visa appointment letter).

Here's an example/question: If you are processing at an embassy in France, would you go to the Moscow embassy's website to research what process you would use and/or forms you will be expected to submit, and then rely on the procedures described there? **** no; you would look at the web site for the embassy in France that you will actually be going to. Why would getting advice about specific procedures from someone who processed at the Moscow embassy be any different?

Now, there are plenty of areas where comparing notes is helpful; for example, hearing about what other people were asked at their visa interviews or their general knowledge of the kinds of things you will need to bring with you is helpful. But when it comes to SPECIFIC procedures, you are better off doing your research directly with the consulate and/or following the instructions they send you.

Comment

Hey, for the record, the word that I used that got blanked out was "h e c k". This ****** filter sure is touchy . . . .

Comment

Just to tell you my experience with Mumbai...

My husband never did receive packet 3 from Mumbai. It seems that more often than not, the packet 3 never does arrive from Mumbai. My husband did get packet 4 which contained his interview letter with date (11/20), DS-230, DS-156, forms for medical and checklist.

The best thing you can do is call them giving your case number and ask can you come to the information window to get the packet 3 or can a family member get it for you if you have not yet received it from them. They kept telling my husband they sent the packet 3, but he never did get it. When he sent his brother there to get the packet 3 for him, they would not give it because his interview had already been scheduled at this point and we didn't know it.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation