Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fiancee visa

i just got approval on the first part of the fiancee visa. How long could it take to get to the interview with the consulate

i just got approval on the first part of the fiancee visa. How long could it take to get to the interview with the consulate

Comment

1. The US Citizen files the I-129F petition for the foreign fiance(e). Approval is required before the fiance(e) may apply for the K1 visa. The petition phase is very straightforward. Approval timelines vary thru the Service Centers, anywhere from one to three months.

2. After the I-129F has been approved, the fiance(e) has 4 months to obtain the K1 Visa at the US Consulate in the foreign country. This time period can be extended by a consular officer if required. The visa application process is generally similar in all countries, altho each Consulate will vary a bit in their requirements. Every K1 applicant will have a unique story to tell about how they got their visa.

3. Once you have the K1 Visa it is good for one entry into the United States within 6 months. A K2 may enter up to one year after the K1, but a K2 may not enter the U.S. prior to the K1.

4. Once in the United States, you have 90 days to get married

5. Immediately after marriage, you must apply for an Adjustment of Status, Form I-485, to become a permanent resident. You will also apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), and "advance parole" in case you want to travel outside the United States and re-enter before getting your green card. .....And then...

6. You may wait a year or more to be interviewed for "Conditional" Permanent Resident status (green card).

7. After two more years, you apply to have the "Conditional" status removed.

8. Further on down the road, you can apply to become an American citizen (naturalization).

http://www.ins-fiance-visa.com/

I know this may be more than what you asked for, but thought it might also be helpful.

Congratulations and good luck!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed