Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Should I Get Married?

My boyfriend lives in Honduras and I live in the US. The long distance romance is a bummer, so when we see each other the next time, we want to get married. I plan to go to Honduras and tie the knot there and then have him come to the US to live here with me. Does this make the most sense legally? Does he have to wait to get a VISA if we go that route or is it better to get married in the US. We do not plan to make a big deal out of the ceremony, just a simple civil ceremony.
    P.S. Neither of us are wealthy! (I've been plauged by unemployment since 9/11 but am educated and going to school, and he's doing OK but has the skills to get a job here)HELP, please.

My boyfriend lives in Honduras and I live in the US. The long distance romance is a bummer, so when we see each other the next time, we want to get married. I plan to go to Honduras and tie the knot there and then have him come to the US to live here with me. Does this make the most sense legally? Does he have to wait to get a VISA if we go that route or is it better to get married in the US. We do not plan to make a big deal out of the ceremony, just a simple civil ceremony.
    P.S. Neither of us are wealthy! (I've been plauged by unemployment since 9/11 but am educated and going to school, and he's doing OK but has the skills to get a job here)HELP, please.

Comment

the best thing you can do is to request a fiance visa and once that is approved marry him here in the USA (at least in a civil ceremony) supposedly there is a new way to make married couples have access to the USA as quickly as fiances, however it is new and not all of the lawyers are up to date on this method. Also, I am sure about its track record.

The fiance visa should take approximately 3 months to process as long as everything is in order when you request it.

I am not a lawyer, so I make no promises about what I am saying, but it is my understanding of the laws that pertain to this.

Good luck!

Comment

after the finace visa is approved you have three months in which to get married. During that time he can look for a job etc.

Comment

Thanks for the information. We will apply for a fiance VISA as soon as possible. I really appreciate your help.

Comment

Fiancee visas are taken a looooong time to be approved since they are fairly new. I have heard cases that take up to a year when thy just recieved it and they files in 2001. so you have to be patient!

Comment

If you want some good info on Fiance visas try using any search engine and type in either 'fiancee visa' or 'K-1 visa" there is TONS of info on the web about getting it done quickly and properly. Some K-1's take as little as 60 days, while others can take up to 12 months. A lot of it has to do with how accurately and completely you follow the instructions, and making sure all your paperwork is in order, but it's a pretty simple process. I assembled my petition for my fiancee in about 3 days after I got the documents I needed from her.

Comment

Hi!, 4 months ago i was like u, looking for information to find the best way to be with my fiancee -my husband now-....
                I took a diferent way, i married in peru and we applied there.
                Maybe you can see www.k1faq.com or alt.visa.us.marriage-based.com. these pags helped me very much.
                My time??? since we applied until i took the plane... mumm 2 months, 01 week....01 day!!!!, it was really fast.

good luck!!!

Comment

Wow that's is great!! You must have used the new marriage law. It won't actually work for me, but I bet that it could help some other people out if you could give details on exactly what you did, etc.

Congrats!!!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed