Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS-156/156K Question for "Fatherless" child

On the DS-156/156K, the embassy requests information regarding immediate relatives and/parent of the visa beneficiary. My daughter's (legally my step-daughter) birth certificate does not list a father becaue at the time of her birth, my wife was not married and the father who acted as the "sperm donor" has chosen to abandon his daughter in favor of a "new family." He has seen the child once (in 1999) in seven years and has no involvement in the child's life of any kind/

When my wife applied for the child's passport, she was not requred to obtain a clearnace from DSWD and even though she will obtain a DSWD travel certificate, my wife has been advised she does not need a travel document to take my daughter out of the Philippines because there is no father on the birth certificate.

My wife was involved with only one man at the time she got pregnant....so she believes she knows who the father is. However, he is not on the BC and a court has not adjudicated him as the child's father. My wife WILL HAVE thw DSWD travel clearance with her at the interview to so it can be produced if asked for.

So here is my question. How do we answer questions on the paperwork asking for the name/information of the child's father?

Does she answer by giving the name of the person she belives is the father?

Does she go to a local attorney to give her a written legal opinion that according to Philippine law, the child has no legal father and then attach that opinion to the form?

Does she leave it blank and attach a note or a yellow sticky indicating she will talk about it with the consular officer at the interview?

Does she put N/A

Does she leave it blank?

We want to be completely honest and upfront with everything and make sure all the information requested is truthfully provided. However, the best way to respond to questions regarding the child's father is still puzzling me.

Can anyone help?????

Dad of 3
    08-29-03 I-129F Received by MSC
    09-03-03 NOA1 from MSC Received
    11-19-03 I-129F for K3 Visa Approved

On the DS-156/156K, the embassy requests information regarding immediate relatives and/parent of the visa beneficiary. My daughter's (legally my step-daughter) birth certificate does not list a father becaue at the time of her birth, my wife was not married and the father who acted as the "sperm donor" has chosen to abandon his daughter in favor of a "new family." He has seen the child once (in 1999) in seven years and has no involvement in the child's life of any kind/

When my wife applied for the child's passport, she was not requred to obtain a clearnace from DSWD and even though she will obtain a DSWD travel certificate, my wife has been advised she does not need a travel document to take my daughter out of the Philippines because there is no father on the birth certificate.

My wife was involved with only one man at the time she got pregnant....so she believes she knows who the father is. However, he is not on the BC and a court has not adjudicated him as the child's father. My wife WILL HAVE thw DSWD travel clearance with her at the interview to so it can be produced if asked for.

So here is my question. How do we answer questions on the paperwork asking for the name/information of the child's father?

Does she answer by giving the name of the person she belives is the father?

Does she go to a local attorney to give her a written legal opinion that according to Philippine law, the child has no legal father and then attach that opinion to the form?

Does she leave it blank and attach a note or a yellow sticky indicating she will talk about it with the consular officer at the interview?

Does she put N/A

Does she leave it blank?

We want to be completely honest and upfront with everything and make sure all the information requested is truthfully provided. However, the best way to respond to questions regarding the child's father is still puzzling me.

Can anyone help?????

Dad of 3
    08-29-03 I-129F Received by MSC
    09-03-03 NOA1 from MSC Received
    11-19-03 I-129F for K3 Visa Approved

Comment

Dear Dadof3: I don't know how they handle it in the Philipines but here in the US the answer would be "Unknown". There is no "father-of-record" because one does not appear on the birth certificate. She would be honest in answering either none or unknown since her documentation supports that answer. Good luck

Comment

I agree that "unknown" would be the most appropriate resonse in light of the fact that there is only "suspicion" that one man is the father. What I would *not* do in any case is leave it blank, write n/a, or use a yellow sticky. Those would be bad ideas.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation