X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeanine
    replied
    I agree with Michael that it wouldn't be fair, for those who are legal in their whole entire life! My family is in the US (temopary J1) and I had to leave the country, cause I was on J2, and I turned 21, but never got any answer about the Visa Waiver, because I wanted to do AOS, and get an F visa to study in the US, but mainly just to be with my family! And look what I got to deserve! And look what are they trying to do with ILLEGAL immigrants...I dunno..it's just doesn't sound fair!

Leave a comment:

• Angie
    replied
    WHAT ABOUT HR440. WHAT IS THE STATUS ON THAT? DOES ANYONE KNOW.........

Leave a comment:

• ely
    replied
    I do hope that something will change though or they come up with a solution for this broken immigration system.
    Many families being separated because of the broken immigration laws.They disregard family values etc.It is so messed up!!!!

Leave a comment:

• acelaw
    replied
    Air Passenger Detained After Bomb Claim
    CHRISTINA ALMEIDA
    Associated Press

LAS VEGAS - A Southwest Airlines flight headed to California was forced to return to Las Vegas when a passenger allegedly threatened to take down the plane with a bomb in his carry-on bag, authorities said.

Passengers and crew members restrained Salvador Gonza*** when he started walking to the front of the Boeing 737, pinning him in a row of seats, officials said. No bomb was found.

Gonza***, 27, was charged with interfering with a flight crew, assault and other counts, and ordered held without bail by a federal magistrate. Gonza*** said during the court appearance that the charges against him were unwarranted. "They've turned it all around," he said.

Prosecutors said Gonza*** became agitated after Flight 2466 took off from McCarran International Airport on Wednesday. He then began opening overhead bins - saying he had a bomb in his bag.

"Do I have to say there's a bomb to get you to land?" he said, adding that he was going to "take the aircraft down."

One passenger who helped restrain Gonza*** was kicked in the face, authorities said, while a flight attendant was kicked in the leg.

"The man wouldn't back down," said Bob Green, 48, of Riverside, Calif., who suffered a bruised nose and lip in the melee.

The aircraft returned to Las Vegas about 3:30 p.m. The flight was en route to Ontario, Calif., about 60 miles east of Los Angeles.

Whitney Eichinger, a Southwest spokeswoman in Dallas, said some of the 122 passengers and five crew members were questioned before they were booked on another Southwest flight.

Prosecutor Thomas Dougherty told the judge during Thursday's hearing that immigration officials were trying to determine the status of Gonza***, a Mexican citizen. He also said Gonza*** acknowledged mental health problems.

The judge ordered a public defender be assigned to the case and set a preliminary hearing for Nov. 6.

Leave a comment:

• SKS
    replied
    Aliba-

"-Legalizing illegal aliens does not improve security. As we saw with the 1986 amnesty"

Legalizing and amnesty are two different things. The 1986 amnesty would have been better if it had security measures as well.........So, amnesty will work if there is also a stronger border.....

"--legalization avoids the security checks that would be done in the immigrant's home country. We end up legalizing criminals and terrorists."

A "blanket amnesty", perhaps. But a legalization program is the same process that a legal immigrant goes through, the only real difference is that the can process here...

"--legalization is an open invitation to fraud. The authorities don't budget enough and can't get enough workers to verify claims of residency/work history."

All solutions do hinge on an efficient BCIS...

"The 1986 amnesty resulted in large numbers of people who weren't eligible, including a terrorist, being legalized because they submitted fraudulent documents which weren't checked."

So the problem actually lies with the BCIS...

"--Finally, legalization encourages more illegal immigration. Legalization does not end it, particularly since Congress is not actually pushing for more enforcement of immigration laws as a condition of the program."

Yes, without a stonger border it won't help much..

Aliba, you seem to not like the idea of amnesty. Fine, neither do I. So, we are left with what is an alternative?? If not amnesty then what? That same Congress that will not provide the funds and time to implement an amnesty, will also not provide the same for massive deportations. Thus, are we left with the status quo??

Leave a comment:

• AliBA
    replied
    Aguila18--Legalizing illegal aliens does not improve security. As we saw with the 1986 amnesty
    --legalization avoids the security checks that would be done in the immigrant's home country. We end up legalizing criminals and terrorists.
    --legalization is an open invitation to fraud. The authorities don't budget enough and can't get enough workers to verify claims of residency/work history. The 1986 amnesty resulted in large numbers of people who weren't eligible, including a terrorist, being legalized because they submitted fraudulent documents which weren't checked.
    --legalization will add massive numbers to those eligible for welfare and means-tested programs because many illegal immigrants haven't the skills or education to get really better jobs even if here legally.
    --legalization will increase the time to come here it takes for people who've played by the rules from the start. Again, Congress has no will to provide additional manpower (and even if it did, it really takes time to hire and train new staff) which means diverting resources to process those legalizing. It also means that those who legalize will be able to bring their immediate relatives, further adding to the queue of applications.
    --Finally, legalization encourages more illegal immigration. Legalization does not end it, particularly since Congress is not actually pushing for more enforcement of immigration laws as a condition of the program.

As for Katy's comments on the DREAM Act, the Act is in the Judiciary Committee and it is they who are considering voting on it today. If it passes out of committee, then it goes to the Senate for a vote. It's anyone's guess then.

Leave a comment:

• NISO
    replied
    I AGREE WITH MICHAEL IN THAT AN AMNESTY WOULDN'T BE FAIR FOR THOSE OF US WHO HAVE DONE EVERYTHING "LEGALLY" AND WAITED FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME (11 YEARS). I THINK THEY CAN BE GIVEN SOME TYPE OF GUARANTEES, BUT NOT A GC.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    If this passes, I am going to open up a farm in Brooklyn !!!

Leave a comment:

• moondin
    replied
    If that passes -- how much you wanna bet every illegal in the country is gonna start working on a "farm" and millions are gonna try crossing over to get gc's through "farms". And the amount of "farms" that sprout out over the country will quadruple.

-= nav =-

Leave a comment:

• aguila18
    replied
    Michael:

"The Anti-Immigrationists' Worst Enemy

Ever since 9/11, the anti-immigration lobby has used the fig-leaf of national security to cover their purely anti-immigration aims. No sensible person, whether anti-immigration or pro-immigration, can have any quarrel over the principle that our country needed enhancements to national security after 9/11. The role of immigration in such national security is miniscule, a fact that anti-immigrationists do not understand, because perhaps they do not want to understand. Based on their own passionate feelings against immigration, the anti-immigrationists have energetically argued that a large undocumented population in the US makes it easier for terrorists to hide among. In fact, the anti-immigrationists have done the country a service by loudly insisting that we cannot have a huge number of undocumented aliens in a country under the rule of the law. On both these points, members of Congress would have to agree with the anti-immigrationists. Infact, bills recently introduced, and about to be introduced, make it clear that Congress is beginning to address our national ignominy in having such a large underground populace. Congress's solution of some kind of massive legalization, which is infact the only practical solution, is sure to infuriate the anti-immigrationists, however. They would rather that Congress somehow deport all the undocumented millions. That this would require us to become a Gestapo state and inevitably lead to the destruction of the liberties which have defined our country somehow escapes the anti-immigrationists. The very agencies, such as BICE, which the anti-immigrationists hope to use as a cudgel against the busboys and gardeners that terrorize the anti-immigrationists, in pursuing the very mission that the anti-immigrationists argue that they should pursue, i.e. national security, will in time become the strongest supporters of a massive legalization program, since there is really no other way of simultaneously enhancing national security, and solving a major American political problem. In insisting that Congress address the undocumented problem, and that our government agencies pursue a national security agenda, the anti-immigrationists may be digging their own grave. They are their own worst enemy."

Taken from Oct 20 2003, ILW DAILY EDITORIAL

Leave a comment:

• Kalla
    replied
    By the way Michael, just for your information, nonoe of the terrorist was "IllegaL' they all had student visas...which were even renewed for some of them after their death........so be awaree of what is going on before writing

Leave a comment:

• Katycab
    replied
    Cirfy-

There was a broad bill introdueced that would have provided relief to any of the 8 milllion undocumented that were working for a company willing to sponsor them , if they otherwise qualified. That bill has been pretty substantially wounded. The AgJobs bill is said to be more likely to pass, but will only apply to Agricultural workers. The DREAM act came very close last week, but didn't quite make it. Hopefully it will make it later this week. That act would provide relief to those who were brought here as children and who want to go to University or join the army.

Leave a comment:

• NGOR
    replied
    Michael,
    You really must be an *** hole. Terrorism has no link to illegal immigrant based on the fact that illegal immigrants are poor and teRR*** are rich.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I hope not; Amnesty is an insult to all people that obey the law and came here legally. Any amnesty will cause these peoples paperwork to be delayed even more for years and allow terrorists another chance to stay here.

Leave a comment:

• AliBA
    replied
    The laws being discussed are not amnesty as such. They narrowly focus on agricultural workers, require you to have worked in agriculture for a certain period, and will require you to continue to work in it for several years before you become eligible for a green card.

Leave a comment:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation