Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help!! Visa Cancelled at Port of Entry

I have a friend who was here for leisure. She entered through LAX and stayed for two weeks under a 10-year multiple entry B visa issued at Vancouver last year. After that, she went up to Vancouver for a week. When she tried to reenter at Vancouver, the US immigration officer refused entry stating that she wanted to work here, which is absolutely not true. She tried to prove her case by showing her return air ticket out of LAX but the officer did not believe her. Consequently, he stamped a cancellation sign on her visa for 1 year and gave her papers stating that she was rejected entry because she plans to work here. She tried speaking to the supervisor and he told her "You are Asian", which is b******t.

I was told the cancellation may result in her permanently banned for the rest of her life from the US. Is that true? Is there any way she can appeal that decision? Is there any way she could come back to the US?

I thought about writing to the local congress rep for help because this is really discriminatory. Would that help?

Any advise from someone is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have a friend who was here for leisure. She entered through LAX and stayed for two weeks under a 10-year multiple entry B visa issued at Vancouver last year. After that, she went up to Vancouver for a week. When she tried to reenter at Vancouver, the US immigration officer refused entry stating that she wanted to work here, which is absolutely not true. She tried to prove her case by showing her return air ticket out of LAX but the officer did not believe her. Consequently, he stamped a cancellation sign on her visa for 1 year and gave her papers stating that she was rejected entry because she plans to work here. She tried speaking to the supervisor and he told her "You are Asian", which is b******t.

I was told the cancellation may result in her permanently banned for the rest of her life from the US. Is that true? Is there any way she can appeal that decision? Is there any way she could come back to the US?

I thought about writing to the local congress rep for help because this is really discriminatory. Would that help?

Any advise from someone is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

you need to supply more info.

What's her citizenship? Where's she from? Are you a male, and perhaps "dating" her?

How many times has she come here before. What did she say she was doing int he US. Visiting landmarks? Convention?

How long was her b2 visa valid for? Was she from a Visa Waiver Program, and used it too much that she required a visa.

Looks like there's something important missing that forced the POE officer to do that. They don't just deny entry for tourists only here for 2 weeks.

-= nav =-

Comment

As far as I know, travel agencies MUST sell you a round-way ticket if you hold a turist visa. Only permanent residents can buy a one-way ticket (from country X to US). That is why immigration officers dont consider the airplane tickets as proof.

Comment

That is ABSOLUTELY not true - travel agencies are a sales bureau, all they are concerned about is sales - you can buy a one way ticket to anywhere - immigration issues are not related. Any travel agent that tells you they can only sell a RT ticket is looking for an easy buck.

Comment

Maybe it is different in different countries. But at least in Peru it is not allowed to sell one-way tickets to US to non-residents. It can be a IATA rule adopted in compliance with goverment agencies.

Some agencies trick that by selling a ticket that arrives at NY but departs from Miami (that will be cheaper). They know that the passanger has intention to remain in the US and doesnt care in losing his ticket back. Of course, the passanger tells that to the agency (a return from Miami is less expensive).

Comment

My friend holds a Chinese passport. She was here in the US to visit some relatives. She was in Canada to visit a relative too. She did studied here before but graduated in 2001 and left the country right after graduation. Currently, she holds a 10-year multiple entry visa. She had used it to come to L.A. before in 2002 and visited Canada the same year. She got the visa in 2002.

She was asked the return air ticket by POE, which she showed.

I am not against immigration. If I offended anyone, I apologize. I just feel her situation is slighty unfair when she has neither intend to nor committed anything wrong especially since she has used the visa before.

But the fact is she lost the visa. I just want to know if there is recourse for this, if any. That's all.

Thanks.

Comment

I have to disagree with someone12. Most immigration officer at POE doesn't check your belongings when going through immigration lines (the custom does that). Also, if this lady was denied entrance, wouldn't she be subject to a 3yr ban on visa ? I knew when you apply for visa at consulate and they reject it, you're not allowed to apply again for a certain length of time. Don't know if that hold true in this case.

In here lies my beef with the USCIS. This agency has no control-check whatsoever. Since their "client" are not US citizens, they always have the higher ground. Case in point is this lady, who got rejected by an immigration officer without even giving any cause (which is well within their jurisdiction, which is complete BS imho). This is also the same agency that failed so miserably that it requires special registration to keep track of alien in this country.
                Even the IRS has shaped up, while INS/USCIS continue to get lagged behind in pile of innefficieny and confusing policy and paperwork.

Comment

thee's something else she said, or was on her or what have ya -- that's not being disclosed. Nothing so far has shown she's "working" or has violated any laws.

-= nav =-

Comment

Perhaps she said something wrong...perhaps she didn't..regardless, the judgement was made eventhough she has no intention to stay here...

I just think the penalty is too harsh...eventhough she can still apply for a visa, it will be tough...especially since she has a record now...that's why, if there's a way to correct this now, it should be done.

Comment

It is well documented, you can have a 2, 3 or 5 year VISA BUT the officer at POE can deny you entry. A friend of mine got to LAX and was sent home on the next flight because she hadn't been away long enough - I think that was the third time she had been back in 18 months.

Security has increased and for good reason but I must admit alot of officers at POE are just smart arses, they like the power. Of course that kinda thing happens everywhere.

Your friend was just unfortunate, it sounds like she has been to the States a few times in a short period of time. My friend was advised not to come back for 18 months, she was a gueniune tourist, and had been coming back for a holiday - not sweetheart here or anything.

It is very sad that terrorists have done this to American tourism. My friend was taking long service leave (an extended holiday as a thank you from her employee for working so many years at the same place) BUT what IF she was a terrorist in training .... its a scarey time and sadly America has to have a little more time to ensure people are genuine

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation